New York woman visited by police after researching pressure cookers online

PeeKnuckle

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/08/government-knocking-doors-because-google-searches/67864/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/new-york-police-terrorism-pressure-cooker

Even though the government doesn't invade our privacy and watch what we search online, this family's internet history seems to be the reason why they had a visit from six men from a joint terrorism task force.

How did they know?

So it looks like this story got updated. I'm not buying it. Especially after one of the joint task force people told the woman they do this 100 times a week. Are there really that many companies calling in saying suspicious google searches happened on their workstation?

I think it got updated because this story was flying across social media at a million miles an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

It's absolutely asinine to believe this was a local cop sting. This smacks of "idiotic government interference" all over it. 

I still love that people to this day go "The NSA won't watch what I'M doing, I just browse for puppies and cooking recipes!". Yeah, well, don't look up pressure cookers or post rap lyrics to your FB, you may get detained.

This country has become utter bullshit.

Yep. They're finding out now that criminal cases are being brought against people in reverse by obtaining information via snooping. Information they would have had no way of knowing without spying.

SWAT storming the wrong homes because of a wireless router that wasn't secure. It'll keep happening, too, because it's easy and it pays dividends for them.

Archived