Computer Gaming Recording programs

dvdabc

So me and my friends recently decide to make youtube channel for gaming . We have been recording console gaming with our capture card and are currently trying to find a good program to record with on a pc. Wondering if any peeps know of a good recording program that might be free.

Open Broadcaster is completely free and a very good program.  It's what most of us use to stream to the Gamercide channel, but I'm pretty sure it can capture to file as well.  It has its own game capture.  It does basically everything XSplit does, but is free.

http://obsproject.com/

Now, if you want to actually make a bit of an investment into quality game capturing, Dxtory is a great piece of software for $40.  It can capture pretty much any game running a high enough version of DirectX (which most do)

http://exkode.com/products-en.html

I've heard FRAPS is supposed to be good as well, but don't know much about it.  I think there's a free version and a paid version.

If you have further questions, Dateranoth would be the software master to direct your questions towards.

Since you are doing Youtube it all depends on what you have in mind. Do you plan on editing the videos after you capture and making clips, comments, etc?  If so, you might be better off to use DXtory or FRAPS.  They will take less CPU to capture initially because they will capture at near lossless quality, but the file size will get really big.  However, you can start and stop them as you wish to only capture certain segments.  You can do this with OBS as well, but it's more designed for streaming.  This is a good option if you don't plan on editing the videos. You can setup a Twitch accout, stream directly to it and then you can upload the videos from Twitch to Youtube.  OBS will allow direct file capture too, in case your bandwidth is low and you want to capture in a higher quality.

OBS doesn't provide terrible quality for capture surprisingly, you just have to make sure you change your profile settings when you switch from streaming to recording. I utilize it for my youtube videos, and have been fairly happy with it. I used to use FRAPS, but the amount of space it eats up is HUEG. I think just an hour of recording Dead Space took up almost 10 gigs. 

Archived