Running

Kevnvek

I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else here likes to run, or even jog.

I only started about last October, but I've been running a minimum of a mile pretty much every night (usually two or three).  My fastest mile is about 6:52, and tonight I just did my longest run, a half marathon, completing that in about 1h41m.

omt2.jpg

I run with Nike+ shoes with a sensor in them connected to my iPod nano 7g.  The timing probably isn't perfect, because I run in my backyard on a path about 110ft across (220ft to go to the end and back, trying to make smooth turns each time to keep pace).  I do that little path 25 times (though 24 x 220ft comes out just about at a mile, that one extra is like error correction to be sure it's a full mile).

And I admit I'm a bit of a lunatic about my runs.  I always run the most on the nights of the full moon.  Tonight was perfect even though it's summer; full moon, cloudy, occasional sprinkles, and even distant flashes of lightning (which was weird considering the hot, cloudless weather lately).  I only like to run at night when it's cool outside.  I wear an eyepatch over one eye before running to dilate it so that I can step outside and take it off, and still see clearly out of at least one eye.

Anyone else into running?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been running for 2 years now, I wish I was as that fast, I am around a 10min mile on average started around 12 min would like to get down to a 8:30-9 min average, My first half was last year I finished at 2:33, at the beginning of this year I lost weight and had a running analysis done at a Sports medical center, I changed my running style and finished a half in June at 2:00 even it was downhill. I have another half next month also downhill but not as much and I need to go back and have the running analysis done again. I have also done the Ragnar relay races which are alot of fun and had my fastest mile during that was 7:36 and I am looking at a Spartan or tough mudder maybe this year but most likley next, I am also looking to run a Ragnar on an ultra team next year.

When I started I hated running and never thought I would run at all, but now I enjoy it and run frequently. I run is Asics gels, but have tried Vibrams and some other shoes, my wife only runs in Vibrams they helped fix her shin splints, the Asics have been the most comfortable and I havent had any pain other than blisters and normal aches, I have a Garmin 410 watch, and a Nike armband for my phone to listen to music. I like running at night as well, lately though I have been doing a TRX class and havent run as much but the next 3 weeks I will be doing more to prepare for my next Half. I usually run a 5 mile loop starting and ending back at my house. I usually do two 5 mile runs then a 7 , 10, or 12 mile run on the weekend as I get closer to the Half, when not preparing for a race I just do the 5 miles sometimes 7 and, trying to do more uphill to gain strength but the half courses are downhill so I am training mostly on that right now.  

I will probably do another half in Oct and may look at doing something else but the TRX training I am doing is taking up alot of my running time and energy.

I ran cross country for my team in high school. Back then I was pulling about 6 flat mile times. 

I'm 2 months into quitting smoking and think I'm gonna go on a run tomorrow, actually. It's been almost 4 years since I have so 

I'll probably do a little 2 mile loop. Time to get back in shape!

For me it's enjoyable.  Music definitely helps keep me motivated during a run.  I can see the feeling time being wasted thing, but even just doing a mile usually takes under eight minutes for me, so if I did only that it wouldn't be too much time.  I usually do two or three, so it's well under half an hour each night on average, with a good payoff fitness-wise.

Earlier on in the day I also do a routine of standard exercise that only takes about eight minutes or less as well.  Again, music is a good motivator.  15 chin ups, 10 pull ups, 50 sit-ups, 25 push ups (15 on fingertips if that makes any difference), and 50 kind-of-jumping-jacks (hopping/jumping on the balls of the feet to exercise the legs), that's one set, I take a short break and do all that a second time as well.  So that's less than an hour a day of exercise (usually less, sometimes more on nights of long runs). I have plenty of time in which I'm not doing much else productive anyways that I can fit that into.

I'm getting into being more healthy and lean.  I drink a boost drink (nutrients) mixed with protein powder with my breakfast, and all of the kung fu and tai chi/yoga definitely help as well.  The crazy thing about it all is that I only really started exercising and running regularly last October (less than a year), before then I never really did anything fitness-wise (though I've always been skinny).  I absolutely feel better (used to have back pain some mornings), and am more defined in terms of musculature.

tl:dr:  I've learned that exercise is a healthy thing and can be fun (music helps)

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 10 last night, mostly flat with some down hill, did ok, it was flatter than the half course I will be running, will do 12 this weekend then next week end is the half.

10 and 12 miles are definitely good.  I only do long runs on special occasions or if I'm feeling pretty good.  Lately I haven't been running for very long because I get so hot, even after 9 or 10pm.  Usually I do an average of 2 miles a night, though I like to try to do 3 when I can.  I definitely like tracking stats with Nike+.  My fastest mile now is 6:44, and apparently I've run about 72 miles over the past 30 days.

If it feels good do it...but i think your nuts too...lol

Lol.  Afterwards, I feel good :)  I've had to cut back on running though these past few weeks, because Granite started football and his practice runs from 6-8 pm.  So I started doing the 100 Workout when we get home to fill the cardio void, because you end it with 10 minutes of running.  It's not too shabby, kicks my ass, and lets me work on my time.

On a side note, I still use the sneakers that I was fitted for in basic training.  Best damn running shoes I have ever had and I think I'll shed a tear when they are finished.

Ran the half over the weekend but it wasn't a good one, thought I had hydrated enough and stopped at all the water stations but I started cramping just after 10mi and had to walk the last 3, I finished but wasnt the time I was planning on. It was hotter than I expected.

Drachenfest and Conquest of Mythodia is 2 weeks of LARPing in Germany. The money put into the kits (costumes) is ridiculous, but clearly worth it. Sometimes you think you're looking at a movie set, they're so elaborate. 

My renn faire armour is not even half as complicated as this, and I've sunk a lot of money and time into it already. I can't imagine the costs here.

Archived