Update on my Employment Status

Kevnvek

Okay, a few new things.

1.  F*** WalMart.  I will never work at one again.

2.  I am now unemployed.

3.  I got my paperwork for unemployment and can make about $147 a week for a year or until I find employment, which is nearly as much as I made at WalMart (about 400 every two weeks).

4.  I've turned in applications to a few places and already heard back from a guy I know that owns the theater in the next town over (a 15 minute drive versus my former 30 minute commute).  He says starting in a couple weeks he can put me on for a couple days a week, and give me more hours as they become available (some other workers are starting schooling soon and such).

That's about it.  I don't have plans for college or further schooling yet, but am thinking of looking into it soon (I have decent money set aside for it).  There are some courses I could take online or in the next town over (same place as the theater).  I'd probably take something dealing with computers, web/graphic design or development/programming of some kind, but I'm just not sure about any actual courses.

Either way, it's nice that I'm able to get a source of income again so quickly after losing my job.

Working and having unemployment is simple - you just fill out the hours and amount of pay you've earned, and they deduct that from what you'd make via unemployment and extend your benefits accordingly. It's actually really useful for times you don't get scheduled if you have a shitty part time job.

Sorry for the long post but I put alot of good advice in there that I learned the hard way.

Dude my advice is if you can afford it, without taking a bunch of student loans, become a full-time student asap. If you live at home and your parents can help out its going to be much easier to make the sacrifice of time needed to get through school when your young than it will be later on. When you get more responsibilities like a family and kids and all it gets real tough. You can't afford to not work and become a student or your doing both and it will drain you. You said you have good money set aside for school already?

I will say though the last thing you want to do is take a bunch of student loans for a field of study that has no guaranteed income level to give you the ability to pay it all back. I speak first hand cause I am going through it right now. I have too much in loans and high payments. Do your research and look at the total cost of the degree you need for the job you want and what is the salary that job pays. Make sure it adds up. Salary.com is good. Make it your full-time job right now to look into degrees and plan for the future. Spend the money carefully. Don't do anything until you do the research. Don't just go into whatever cause it sounds fun.

My second advice for you is to forget about graphic design or web design and go for the development side if your gonna do it. The languages and skills you learn for development/programming are gonna pay way more than graphics, probably double if your good. Sure graphics is fun but the pay is terrible and places tend to micro-manage you which creates an environment opposite of creative. I have alot of skills and the only reason I make it work is because I actually landed a good full time job doing graphics and web during the day but also have my own LLC and freelance here and there on weekends or evenings when possible and I taught myself some programming.

I have a bachelor's degree in Fine Arts with Graphic Design. I have been doing web/graphics design for 10+ years and if I could do it all over again I would stay far far away from it and go into a completely different field. I would go back to school for more programming but have student loans already and just can't afford to go back. I have been teaching myself more languages but it takes more time. Part of me wishes I would of went into the health care industry. The jobs are guaranteed with better pay if you get through school.

I have friends that have made successful design careers and I am doing ok but its a tough field!

I agree with Vec about Graphic Design. The days before Photoshop were pirated, it was a nice income. But then in the span of half a year, everyone and their grandmothers were graphic designers. Usually just text with fancy plug-in beveled edges and other pre-designed effects.

If you want to make money using graphics, I suggest learning Adobe Illustrator and lean towards advertising. Even that field is super crowded right now. You basically have to be able to do something not many others are able to do.

I've been floating the idea around of opening a print shop. For a touristy town, I'm really surprised there isn't one already in my town.

Male Nurse.... nuff said.  You get to work with lots of women and you are GUARANTEED to always have an awesome high paying job.

This is actually a very good gig. I wish I could go back for this. Great salary and guaranteed job right out of school.

I agree with Vec about Graphic Design. The days before Photoshop were pirated, it was a nice income. But then in the span of half a year, everyone and their grandmothers were graphic designers. Usually just text with fancy plug-in beveled edges and other pre-designed effects.

If you want to make money using graphics, I suggest learning Adobe Illustrator and lean towards advertising. Even that field is super crowded right now. You basically have to be able to do something not many others are able to do.

I've been floating the idea around of opening a print shop. For a touristy town, I'm really surprised there isn't one already in my town.

So true, everyone thinks they can design just because they got their hands on photoshop but it really hurt my industry. People just slam together whatever and go with it to save money on hiring someone with real talent or when they finally do hire someone your walking into a disaster.

Not to discourage anyone but if you want to be a designer make it just a hobby and not your main gig. You don't need to pay for school to learn all this stuff. If you did go to a school for it I recommend taking the Fine Art path and learn how to actually draw, color, composition etc.. Many people don't have those skills in graphics. All the tech stuff can be easily learned from something like lynda.com. I just saved you tons of money :)

A trade isn't a bad gig, but there is no easy answer. I truly hope you are in that small percentage of people who can do what they love and keep loving it when it becomes a job.

The reality is, most of us don't. We work for the money and that's about it. That being said, I have to recommend going into something you can at least take some enjoyment or pride from. We spend most of our lives at work or commuting to it. You don't want to hate what amounts to most of your life.

That's where the difficulty lies. Finding a profession that you can enjoy that also has jobs available. No matter what you do, good luck.

A trade isn't a bad gig, but there is no easy answer. I truly hope you are in that small percentage of people who can do what they love and keep loving it when it becomes a job.

The reality is, most of us don't. We work for the money and that's about it. That being said, I have to recommend going into something you can at least take some enjoyment or pride from. We spend most of our lives at work or commuting to it. You don't want to hate what amounts to most of your life.

That's where the difficulty lies. Finding a profession that you can enjoy that also has jobs available. No matter what you do, good luck.

Well said.

• 4 weeks later...

So I had a phone interview and won't be getting unemployment.  But I will start my first day working at the theater tomorrow at 11am.  It will still only be a day or two a week until later on, but it's something, and should be fun.  I also had an interview for a driving position for O'Reiley's auto parts which seemed to go well.  And third, my dad is trying to see if he can let me work in his office (JS West Propane) for a couple days a week.  So a few prospects.

Archived