Microsoft drops Xbox One restrictions

PaNfOoT

As much as I don't care about kinect at all, I understand why they are forcing you to have it, so developers can make games with it in mind and not having to worry about how many consoles out their have it. Having to be connected at all times? eeeeehhhhh still don't like that.

As much as I don't care about kinect at all, I understand why they are forcing you to have it, so developers can make games with it in mind and not having to worry about how many consoles out their have it. Having to be connected at all times? eeeeehhhhh still don't like that.

I get it but they still gotta drop the Kinect as a mandatory thing. It would bring them in line with the $399 price point and ease peoples concerns over its functionality. They already went 180 on most all issues why not do it right lol.

I figured this might happen, I believe I called it in the other thread.  Regardless of the removal of all of the restrictions, the fact that they wanted to go ahead with them originally leaves a bad taste.  Too late, Microsoft, I've already decided that when I finally get another next generation console, it will be the PS4.

Oh who am I kidding.  I'll probably get a Wii U and Xbone a few years later for the exclusives just like this generation.  More likely a Wii U (for Smash Brothers) until the Xbone has some great exclusives; and with Bungie no longer doing Halo and Destiny being multiplatform, I'm not sure when that will be.

I figured this might happen, I believe I called it in the other thread.  Regardless of the removal of all of the restrictions, the fact that they wanted to go ahead with them originally leaves a bad taste.  Too late, Microsoft, I've already decided that when I finally get another next generation console, it will be the PS4.

Oh who am I kidding.  I'll probably get a Wii U and Xbone a few years later for the exclusives just like this generation.  More likely a Wii U (for Smash Brothers) until the Xbone has some great exclusives; and with Bungie no longer doing Halo and Destiny being multiplatform, I'm not sure when that will be.

Well said! It's too late! I mean if they have been working on this infrastructure for awhile who is to say that they can't just change it back at some point in the future after they get these consoles in peoples living rooms. They ran out of cards on this one. We know the future intentions.

I wonder if this is a sympton of their family sharing plan falling through. After all, being able to share your all of your games with 10 people seems absolutely insane, and they would have to get premission from every publisher for that I bet. That was kind of the one big pro they had going for all the restrictions. Everything they have done with the Xbox One so far feels rushed and without a clear vision, like they don't want to take time to get everything together and let Sony release a year earlier.

Regardless of the removal of all of the restrictions, the fact that they wanted to go ahead with them originally leaves a bad taste.  Too late, Microsoft, I've already decided that when I finally get another next generation console, it will be the PS4.

Really surprised they think they can pull this off in a day one patch... Either they left a backdoor option or they think they can recode in the time lefy... Expect MANY problems.

They have changed (like Sony) many times since before their reveals, E3 and afterwards. I'm sure both companies left themselves some room to work with. MS' original DRM strategy was much, much worse/strict.

Annnndddd now everyone is complaining about losing the family sharing plan and how unrestricted used games will continue to hurt developers.....

The family share was not all that anyways. Only one console at a time on the game within those 10 people. Just like it is today but with the minor convenience of digital and the restriction of 10 people. The only argument I could see is that having those features now makes paying for Live slightly more sensible.

Make no mistake though. We have already seen the future of Xbox and what they want. They will slowly put some of these policies back in place once they make the console sales they need. Sony could have some polices down the road as well only time will tell.

That is why if people really want a console instead of PC the only smart choice is to enjoy what you have now and wait 1-2 years to see where things are at especially considering that PS3/360 are still getting some of the newest releases. By then we could very well have new slimmer versions of the new consoles, optional kinect, etc..

The only downside I saw from their recent changes was the cloud based stuff. I was pretty interested in what would be stored on cloud and how it'd all work. Not game saves or profiles, but game assets, etc. With it built-in, developers could try new things and really experiment. I think we may have seen some cool stuff.

It'll still come when people are ready for it. Just not right now.

With that said, MS could have been totally upfront about everything and not confused their message. They handled it poorly.

The only downside I saw from their recent changes was the cloud based stuff. I was pretty interested in what would be stored on cloud and how it'd all work. Not game saves or profiles, but game assets, etc. With it built-in, developers could try new things and really experiment. I think we may have seen some cool stuff.

It'll still come when people are ready for it. Just not right now.

With that said, MS could have been totally upfront about everything and not confused their message. They handled it poorly.

Totally! They could of been up front.

If they built this infrastructure already then we could still see some of this sooner than you think. Maybe they will do worthwhile DLC expansions for games that show us how good it is. I really believe that in the next year or two all these policies will get revisited. People just need a transition step instead of all at once because of the confusion. This could of happened smoother and easier for sure with a few less BS policies.

I for sure don't want to be a Guinea pig for these new consoles. If I ever get another console its gonna be quite awhile. The exclusive games are not going anywhere. I can wait until everything stabilizes and I have a clear picture of what I am getting. By then they will have the slim streamlined versions haha.

Well, there was always the possibility of people being offline for 24 hours, so i'm sure there will still be ample use of "the cloud". After all, Destiny, Titanfall, and The Division all appear to be online only in an MMO sort of way.

Also, heard the sharing plan would only let you play 45-60 minutes before taking you to the marketplace to purchase the game, LOL.

Archived