Sony crushes the world....

ThermoNukePanda

No online authentication.

No used game restrictions.

I don't care how much it costs.  I have a launch PS3 (which was ridiculous to begin with).   I'm fucking sold.  And Elder Scrolls Online + FFXV?  Done deal.

Game set and effing match Sony.  Kudos to you.  I wish you well (and my Vita is ready for the cross play!)

I am so glad they did not follow suit with M$. It will help ease gamers into going full digital. It is inevitable that one day everything will be full digital. Sounds like Playstation 4 will offer both. You can buy disks or buy digital?

I watched it but saw no mention of the Playstation Eye. Did they say it was mandatory? The only negative was the Playstation Plus membership is now required for online multiplayer which puts it on par with Xbox Live. No more free network. Most of us are used to that anyways.

I am not a big JRPG fan so some of the stuff did not appeal to me but overall at the end I think they nailed it especially given that $399 price point and the pro-consumer stuff. Seems like they might of learned from their past mistakes. I think Sony could do well this gen.

So.  It looks like I will be getting a next gen console after all.  I have enjoyed my PS3 more lately than 360 anyways.  Not sure if it would be right away (though I have a reasonable income now), but yeah.  Good show, Sony.  And that video is amazing, Panfoot.  Somehow I get the feeling Xbox is going to drop these shenanigans at some point in the future when they actually realize how much consumers hate it.

Good responses all. I like reading what you guys say. PS4 is looking pretty good. I like how they dispelled all the fears everyone was having.

To respond to PaNfOoT. I bet M$ goes into silent mode. They will look even worse for changing anything now and don't want to admit they are wrong. I don't care what exclusives or games they have I can't support a system like they have proposed.

I really hope all this hits Xbone hard. They need to be taken down a notch. We could of swallowed most of it but they just went too far with it all.

As far as M$ changing, they'd have to change their whole architecture. They way the games integrate with the console otherwise you could rent a game, install and own it. If they change it wont be till next year when they'll have to do a major update, then put that update with ALL games to check for the update. Huge hassle and moneydump. They've dug themselves a pretty deep hole. Its gonna be like the ps go, some people will get it, but probly not enough to scrimp by.

As far as M$ changing, they'd have to change their whole architecture.

This is what I keep saying to people too.  This will NOT be an easy or quick fix for them I don't think.  They're whole system of authentication and checks and balances would have to be scrapped and a whole new plan put in place.  I don't see it happening any time soon.

All this and I still can't believe that people like my Brother-in-law still defend the Xbone. He is saying they have the best games and exclusives and does not want to learn another system. Learn another system??

I honestly did not see anything that had me at the edge of my seat. Halo 5? Halo 4 was ok but I would not buy a whole new console just to continue that series.

To each there own I suppose.

All this and I still can't believe that people like my Brother-in-law still defend the Xbone. He is saying they have the best games and exclusives and does not want to learn another system. Learn another system??

I honestly did not see anything that had me at the edge of my seat. Halo 5? Halo 4 was ok but I would not buy a whole new console just to continue that series.

To each there own I suppose.

Dude, I have quite a few "friends" who own Xbox also and are defending it with their last breaths.  It's crazy in my opinion, but to each their own I absolutely agree.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4419476/playstation-4-third-party-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

This could be anything, I don't think they will allow Xbox one level of DRM stuff at the system level, but I would bet on EA trying to do something with having to be online and signed into origin to play an EA game. Though with this you can always avoid shitty publishers still.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4419476/playstation-4-third-party-publishers-can-dictate-their-own-drm-terms

This could be anything, I don't think they will allow Xbox one level of DRM stuff at the system level, but I would bet on EA trying to do something with having to be online and signed into origin to play an EA game. Though with this you can always avoid shitty publishers still.

aaaaaand now Sony is totally back-peddling.  This is complete double speak in my opinion.  Meh. 

PC MASTER RACE FOR THE WIN!

original.gif

aaaaaand now Sony is totally back-peddling.  This is complete double speak in my opinion.  Meh. 

I agree. It will be interesting to see what the publishers implement. EA already got rid of online passes. Will they go back to that for just Sony games?

User Azrigar made this comment on that Polygon article, and it sounds about right.  This isn't some big reversal, or them taking back what they said, it's more them saying things are about the way they've always been.

This is exactly how it works today with PS3/Xbox360. This is shoddy journalism.

Tretton simply is saying they won’t explicitly block publishers from writing game code that uses Online Passes or connects to a 3rd party server/account.

Again, that’s identical to current gen, and dramatically less oppressive than XBone.

This is not some grand reversal putting it in line with Xbox One’s policies, like:

• -daily connectivity check-in

• -restricted ability to loan games

• -remotely disable installed game data when game is detected elsewhere

• -inability to resell without going through approved resale vendor (the “Please Don’t Blacklist Us, GameStop” Clause)

Yeah, though i'm still worried about the Xbox One being the catalist for someone like EA to just try something like all copies of BF4 come with a CD key, and starting the game without the CD key registerred to the account just brings you to a menu to buy one. That way they get rid of the the used market, making the disc nothing more than an install disc. Really at this point it's a wait and see. We know for sure all Xbox One games will have DRM to some extent(24 hour check in at the very least) while PS4 will be a case by case that may never be worse than online passes.

Though I would hope Sony would come out and say they won't allow stuff like that on the PS4, I realize that is getting way to risky. I think they were pretty smart at putting this all on the publishers.

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/

Some clarification

"The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

So yeah, same as before.

Archived