NVIDIA's Shadowplay

PeeKnuckle

That sounds like fantastic news for streamers.  Free too.  All of the capture methods I've used have been very hit and miss.  It really depends on how each game in particular reacts to the software, but some give bad framerate hits, and others can't even capture some games at all, when technically they should be able to because of the game being rendered in the right method (like a DirectX version that should be capturable but somehow isn't).

And of course it only works with Nvidia GPU's :P

Also just got a Radeon HD 7970 GHZ for much cheaper than the new 780 is being offered for.  Nvidia makes good hardware no doubt but I'm starting to feel they are becoming this exclusive market you have to pay a "premium" for.

I do hope so.  Nvidia seems to be the innovator in the market, but their products are getting expensive...

I was reading a review on the new GTX 780 and noticed something interesting:

But we’d be remiss if we didn’t point out the more value-oriented offering able to satisfy a majority of enthusiasts: Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition at $450. If you average the performance of our eight benchmarks and then calculate what you pay for every frame per second, AMD’s single-GPU flagship runs $8.38/FPS. The GeForce GTX 780 lands at $10.73/FPS. The Tahiti-based board also maintains a massive advantage in compute-oriented workloads. And it still includes Tomb Raider, BioShock, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and Crysis 3. That’s a killer bundle. When performance per dollar is your only consideration in a high-end graphics card, AMD comes away looking pretty good.

I just love my new 7970 and it would be pretty sweet an alternative technology is made available for AMD cards.  I've used MSI afterburner for recording gameplay in the past without much issue.  The huge difference Shadowplay seems to be that you only get about a 14fps hit and it likely not as cpu and gpu intensive as other capture solutions.

Really should be neat though to see how this pans out :)

Another article on Shadowplay

Nvidia calls it ShadowPlay, and it's a feature coming this summer to all of Nvidia's Kepler-based GPUs, allowing you to have your system constantly recording up to the last 20 minutes of whatever you're playing on your computer. It uses the H.264 video encoder built right into Kepler to do its work, which keeps it from being such a drag on performance when you're playing. That way, theoretically, you won't ever need to proactively record: just keep it on in the background, and when you do something cool, you'll have the proof waiting for you.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/23/4358300/nvidia-shadowplay-and-geforce-gtx-780

Nvidia has plenty of true mid range cards that are competitively priced.  AMD is often the way to go for price/performance when you don't want the extra features of NVIDIA software.  However, NVIDIA still have options that are reasonable.  The top end is just completely ruled by NVIDIA, which is why those stay so expensive.

I don't really like to start things, but I have to say I can't get this song out of my head. "Anything you can do, I can do better" Regarding the PC anyway.

Archived