Phil Harrison Attempts to Clear Up Rumors About Xbox One

Siren

While speaking directly to Eurogamer, Phil Harrison attempted to clear up some ugly rumors and conflicting reports that surfaced since Microsoft's reveal of Xbox One.One of those conflicting reports that Harrison was quick to dispel was the report that the Xbox One will require a constant connection to the internet.

"Some bits of the system will work offline. I think the key point to make is that Xbox One requires an internet connection, but it does not need to be connected all the time..."

Just to repeat that, THE XBOX ONE DOES NOT REQUIRE A CONSTANT INTERNET CONNECTION MMMKAY?

Another rumor that Harrison attempted to clear up was used games and digital permissions.

"So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game. If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [so] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system."

Take note; no extra fees if you play it on the same system. Harrison went on to explain what happens if you go to a friend's house and take a game disc with you that you own.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game. The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play. The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today."

Does everyone understand now? If you are a one console family or person, you are fine. However if you are a multiple console family and bounce game discs around, you will need to either a.) buy multiple discs if you game together or b.) purchase the game through whatever Microsoft has in store which will probably be announced at E3, but it sounds like they partnered with Gamestop, Amazon, or some other gaming retail giant in order to do this type of service for instant gaming access.

via Eurogamer

Click here to view the article

Awesome write up Siren.  Although I have a few concerns with how things are worded by MS.

A)  Yes, the system does not require a "constant" connection, although Phil clearly stated in an interview that the console definitely would need to connect at least once a day (24 hours) in order to function.  This is not a "constant" connection, but definitely leaning towards always online.

B )  The used game market will be smashed with this reasoning, at least for Xbox One titles.  Yes, "both people need to own the game".  This just means that I will seriously have to pay a full price fee in order to use a game that someone previously used, downloaded to the other person's console already who no longer "needs" the disc to play the game since X1 installed its info their own personal cloud.

Multi console families (like I once was) are going to get shafted.  Gamefly users for X1?  No point.  Military service men and women, possibly based overseas or underwater using their consoles without always having internet access?  Nope.  Needs to connect once every 24 hours to function. 

I'm just saddened at the extreme DRM.

Awesome write up Siren.  Although I have a few concerns with how things are worded by MS.

A)  Yes, the system does not require a "constant" connection, although Phil clearly stated in an interview that the console definitely would need to connect at least once a day (24 hours) in order to function.  This is not a "constant" connection, but definitely leaning towards always online.

B )  The used game market will be smashed with this reasoning, at least for Xbox One titles.  Yes, "both people need to own the game".  This just means that I will seriously have to pay a full price fee in order to use a game that someone previously used, downloaded to the other person's console already who no longer "needs" the disc to play the game since X1 installed its info their own personal cloud.

Multi console families (like I once was) are going to get shafted.  Gamefly users for X1?  No point.  Military service men and women, possibly based overseas or underwater using their consoles without always having internet access?  Nope.  Needs to connect once every 24 hours to function. 

I'm just saddened at the extreme DRM.

Couldn't of said it any better. Extremely saddened by the DRM on this thing. There are no two ways around it and they can suger coat it all they want. I want to love this console. I like change and welcome it most of the time but Xbone sounds like a publisher's dream console. They are not telling us exactly everything just yet we shall see.

If you read it carefully, it actually doesn't change anything about how we thought used games will work on Xbox One.  Essentially, all Xbox One games will have XBLA DRM now.  You can probably buy the game online through the Xbox marketplace, but the discs exist solely to allow quicker installs and consume less bandwidth with their potentially large capacities, so people won't be so limited by their internet connections.  No one but the owner of the game (the one the DRM is linked to) and maybe people using the console that owns the DRM (just like XBLA DRM) can play it (and people playing together with the owner while the owner is logged on to their separate console).  If you borrow or rent a disc, you're basically just borrowing the ability to install the files of it without using bandwidth, and still have to buy it yourself.  Like installing a piece of software when the activation key's already been used and tied in to someone else's account.  This still kills the used game market.  This also gives Microsoft control over the price of games.  No matter how cheaply you buy a used disc, you'll still have to pay Microsoft's activation price for that game.  This way, they almost always get a portion of the money for the sale of a game, since unused game resales aren't nearly as common as used.

I like the if im playing on my system my son cant play at the same time in his room.....how many of these thing does he think a household owns

We just got Xboned! haha. The good news is though that they have to support the 360 for awhile yet. I predict a influx of people buying up used and old 360 games like crazy to have some kind of collection to fall back on.

Nowhere is it mentioned the constant kinnect overwatch either... Sure you can log in to a friends console and play the game, but how long after not seeing you does the kinnect shut it down? My guess is this is where that five minute rule rumor came from.

I like the if im playing on my system my son cant play at the same time in his room.....how many of these thing does he think a household owns

My family owns 4 :blink:   But it's mainly after helping a couple friends out who needed some money and needed to get rid of them.

I just don't see the big deal, but that's just me.  I think it's because our gaming dynamic with my family shifted and we all kind of do our own thing now.  Like Jason mainly plays WoW, I use the main 360 and the other 3 are spread out for dvd players and hulu/Netflix players.  Maybe if this came out 5 years ago I would have been all rawr, but I'm excited.  For this and the PS4 and also just the technology advances of these consoles.  It's quite incredible if you think about it once you get past everything else.