*CONFIRMED* Microsoft says a big I LOVE YOU to "used games"

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/23/microsoft-files-complaint-over-xboxone-com-domain.aspx

The person who owns the domain, created it back in Dec 2011. MS should not be able to gank those domains from him. Seems every step they've been making lately, has just irked the hell out of me.

They should not be able to especially if he got them fair and square. They have enough cash to purchase them I am sure. So they have been designing this console for how long and have not secured the domain for it till now? Did they just name it last week or what lol.

They are treading on a bad path now. This whole thing is a PR nightmare. It almost seems like they were not ready for this and are scrambling to get this out since Sony announced this year.

I can't wait for E3 now. Wonder if Sony will capitalize on this or just follow suit.

Not necessarily, no...and granted I still have a bit of research to do as I've been going through some crazy things lately. I'm just saying that I'm not giving up hope completely yet. And hopefully those things which need fixed will be before launch as there's so much time and I'm assuming a bit of leeway with the way the software handles things...which seems to be what most of the issues are about.

E3 is June 11th. They don't have much time to get their crowd back in their good graces. Take a gander at the Xbox forums on xbox.com, the home of the Xbox fanboy. They are seriously upset. Almost everywhere you look online people are upset.

They are absolutely livid! I don't blame them at all. At first I wanted to cling to some hope but after some of the worst things were confirmed I started to fall. Things are changing. It is inevitable but it is happening so abruptly. Some of this is completely unnecessary that it makes no sense. This will be interesting come E3.

I am building a PC anyways but I am highly interested in how this all pans out.

The Xbox One will also be packaged with an advanced version of Kinect, which Microsoft (MSFT) says is so sensitive now it can track your pulse.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/23/6-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-xbox-one-really/?section=magazines_fortune

Might be helpful for exercising 'games', but I do not want something that can see me, hear me, and bloody check my pulse. What else can it do that they aren't telling us? No joke, this worries me.

The Xbox One will also be packaged with an advanced version of Kinect, which Microsoft (MSFT) says is so sensitive now it can track your pulse.

Kinect...ive fallen and i cant get up

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/23/6-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-xbox-one-really/?section=magazines_fortune

Might be helpful for exercising 'games', but I do not want something that can see me, hear me, and bloody check my pulse. What else can it do that they aren't telling us? No joke, this worries me.

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities," according to the application.

Microsoft also envisioned using the Kinect motion-sensing camera in tandem with this system. For example, achievements may be tied to viewers performing specific actions while they watch a show. The system can make sure the user is simply in the room while it plays, or it can tell the user to hold up a specific product. The camera would then scan the item held up and reward the user with an achievement.

The patent application details a variety of possible rewards, including points for a GamerScore-like tally that is viewable by other users, new clothes and props for an avatar, virtual money for a game, or even physical rewards.

I posted about this awhile ago and made the example of jumping when a Toyota commercial asked you to. Oh what a feeling.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-24-microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-tv-achievements

Also, here's how used games are going to work.

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

I really don't like how close we are getting to the "you don't own the game, just a licenese" thing to being true. I'm fine with steam because of the dirt cheap prices and know that i'll be able to play all of my games on all of my future PCs(there are some issues with incompability of course, but I haven't run into anything very old that won't work at all), and if worst comes to worst there are always...ways to get that stuff working again. Not fine with it on a console where we have no idea if we will get to keep all those games after the next one comes out, since it sounds like once XBL for the 360 eventually goes out all your XBLA and DLC is just done for.

Though I kinda feel bad the most for the kids that will grow up in this console generation, I remember renting and borrowing N64 games and PS2 games soooo much before I could afford games for myself as a kid.

Also does MS even have a PR team at this point....? You would think they would want to stomp this stuff out as fast as possible, just to get rid of all the false rumors, or to get the hate and mud slinging over with faster.

Interesting reads PK. This is one big giant experiment lol. I just don't see how retailers are gonna take that much of a cut on pre-owned games. It would be absolutely pointless given all the inventory tracking, price setting and other management that comes with selling pre-owned. It has to be more work to deal in pre-owned but the payoff for them was well worth.

I totally agree with all you said PaNfOot!

I feel bad for this gen of gamers. Those were good times. I was the only one that had Mortal Kombat back in the day since my parents were cool with it and all my friends would come over and we would game all night on that thing.

I doubt they had many options. I imagine it went something like this -- We'll either make it so games that are re-sold are locked out entirely, effectively upsetting your customers. Or, you install our new system that will track used games and still get some percentage of the sale back. As an added bonus, you'll be able to mark up that used game at whatever price you like.

And this is why that mindset will work against them -- Tomb Raider (Steam) is on sale at Green Man Gaming for $13.60 with code, GMG20-LLASD-D8WB http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/tomb-raider/

(this sale is live BTW)

There is no way in hell a used console disk will be that cheap, that soon. Places like Gamestop are going to mark them up even higher than normal with these next gen disks because their profits will be diminished.

Good post.

I was kinda thinking along those lines as well. Part of their efforts are to go 100% digital for sure. It happened to music, movies and books for the most part. Used games are just getting effected the worst. I swear all they have to do is make games more reasonable like Steam does. Be straight up with consumers and clear this crap up. You want people to adopt this model? Lower the barrier. With lower prices and the connivence that digital can bring most people will probably forget about used games I bet.

Me and my brother-in-law were talking about this a year or two ago. He was like watch next gen is going to come with violent changes. There is no easy way if this is all to be 100% digital one day.

Problem is now they already screwed up. They introduced a host of completely new problems that they could of easily avoided like this crazy kinect garbage. Even if they somehow clear up this used game thing I still would not get this.

Archived