Microsoft Unveils Xbox One

Siren

After a year's worth of rumors, Microsoft finally unveiled the future of gaming, Xbox One.

bb03c47e-313b-4bb5-aa23-8dbe968b7920_zps

The breakdown of the new "all in one entertainment" system includes:

• 8GB of RAM
  • Blu-Ray Drive
  • 8 Core CPU
  • HDMI In and Out Ports
  • USB 3.0
  • 802.11n Wireless
  • 500 GB Hard Drive
  • Kinect 2.0 - Captures 1080p at 30FPS

Click here to view the article

The used game activation fee is probably why EA ditched the Online Pass program only days before the announcement of the Xbox One.  Consumers would be outraged at having to pay two separate fees to fully access their used games, let alone one.

Spec wise the system sounds pretty good, 8 cores in the CPU is actually more than the 6 in my PC at the moment (though it doesn't say the power of each core), but I'm due to upgrade a few parts within a year or so anyways which would probably cost about what the console will or less.  8GB of RAM is also the same as my PC (though some people go total overkill and get more), and the 500GB HDD allows the installs to happen without consuming so much space.  Though the change to the much much higher capacity Blu-Ray format (smart choice, finally, but hopefully there's still a standard DVD/proprietary HDDVD reader for backwards compatibility) means the discs can be much larger, so maybe the extra space will still run down quickly.

I wouldn't get one anytime soon though.  I still plan to overhaul my PC.  The cheapness and availability of PC games just blows away any supposed value that consoles have over PC.