New Graphics Card Shopping

Skylark95

Looks like the work around is the only solution. There's a pretty detailed explanation here:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

Doesn't look to difficult. Not sure if it's worth the trouble or not.  Just depends on how bad you want the Physx effects.

Hybrid PhysX working... Also ran Metro 2033 benchmark and got about the same results reviews got, if not a little bit higher. Fans should be set up OK in the case. Seems to top out at about 75C under load and idels around 40C. Looking online that seems about average. Should be good to go! :)

Thanks again Dat!

http://game.skylark95.com/Metro_2033/Benchmark/2013.05.15_21-44-14/metro_report.html

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is a rundown of what I hope is my first and only defective video card.

Card ran WONDERFUL for about 3 weeks. On Monday I started having Bioshock 2 crash when loading game textures. I googled the problem and found a solution that worked by running in DirectX 9 mode instead of DirectX 10. I was able to play for about an hour or two before I would get crashes to desktop and would have to restart the game. Thought it was a bug between the video driver and/or the game and didn't think much of it.

Few days later I start having the card crash when simply browsing the internet. I thought it may have been a problem with the beta drivers so I uninstalled the drivers, did a full wipe of any remaining video drivers, and installed the latest stable version of the Catalyst driver from AMD. After reboot the crash to desktop got work and even started reaching the point where the system would freeze and need a hard reboot.

The fact that I would have the video driver crash by simply browsing the web started to give me a red flag, so I decided to research the problem. Found out the driver would crash almost any time I loaded a web page with flash on it because of flash's hardware acceleration ability. Simply put Youtube was a nightmare for this problem.

Frustrated I decided to try out my new copy of Bioshock Infinate. Can I say crash to desktop. Game would not run for more than a few seconds. Figured then I would try running the benchmark for Bioshock that I ran when I got the card that gave me around ~85fps and temps around ~75C. Crashed in seconds...

Decided to run a burn-in on the graphics card and had to kill it after about a minute because the temp shot up to 95C almost instantly (I have never seen 75C+ since I purchased it).

To confirm that it wasn't a heat or power issue, I pulled the card out and put back in my old SLI setup (which uses even more power and heat) and was able to run Bioshock just fine. Also never had any more crashing.

Hoping that I was overlooking something I called Gigabyte support as a last ditch effort to see if I was missing something. I was able to reach someone from Tech support in about 3 minutes (wow, I was impressed). Told him all of the above and was able to run though all the system requirements (checked out ok) and troubleshooting steps except trying the card in another system (No friends have a good enough power supply). Was told by support to contact Newegg for an RMA and try a replacement card and see if I get the same problems (He was pretty sure it was a bad stock overclock on the card).

Got an RMA number from newegg and shipped the thing back.

I had no idea how the RMA process worked so I called Newegg for a few questions. They told me they would have to confirm that the card is defective by testing it and it would take 3-4 days from when they receive it and from there they would try to repair or replace it (really hope they can recreate the same problem that has given me so much stress). Newegg was awesome though and they are at least going to refund me the cost I paid to ship the card.

So yeah... 2 weeks without this beast is going to suck and I really hope they can get this resolved. Was rather impressed with the service from both Newegg and Gigabyte and just hope they can continue to though this headache. Hell, at least I didn't sell my old cards yet. :)

I just got through an RMA myself. I had trouble with my GTX 560 TI where I would just get a complete system crash(black screen, looping noise coming out of the speakers) and would get a blue screen error after booting up. Ended up emailng Galaxy tech support for like....3 months as they ran me through all the basic tests(making sure its not overheating, test differen't drivers, etc) and just getting nowhere, finally sent it out this past saturday and got the refurb in the mail friday. I wasn't so lucky to have any extra cards since this is my first non prebuilt computer and was stuck on the integrated graphics, so I just ended up playing through the original Tomb Raider games in the meantime.

It only took a week for you to get the RMA'd card back? That is quite impressive.

3 months of juggling with support emails had to be a pain. That is why I just opt to wait minutes on end to talk to a real person from the get-go. I feel I can get my case escalated faster that way.

Manufacturer contacted me over Newegg in response to a poor review I left.

Just sent them the following email reply. Lets see where this goes...

Newegg should hopefully be taking care of the RMA process for the card as it was shipped back Monday.

I have also contacted Gigabyte previously about the issue via support ticket question #1367162. The decision to RMA the card was recommended over the phone with Gigabyte Technical Support. To help with the issue, I have attached the previous support ticket as well as a description of the problem, current system specs, and windows log files.

Primary Issue:
When starting games or using Google Chrome (Adobe flash hardware acceleration enabled), the display would freeze and/or go black and be followed a few seconds later with a blue screen or crash to desktop with the message "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." This increased in frequency when the card was under load.

Card is properly and securely connected and the system has plenty of power for the cards. PSU is a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX950 (CMPSU-950TX) 950W

Secondary Issue:
High Temps when under load. After purchase card would top out around low 80s. Three weeks later the same test shot the card up to 94C in just over a minute.

Proper cooling should not be an issue. Case a full tower Cooler Master Haf-X properly ventilated with good cable management. System is able to support 2 GTX 460's in SLI with much lower temps. The system does not crash with these cards either.

Time-frame:
Started about a week after getting the card, became severe and common enough to send it back by week 3

Possible Root Cause:
Possibly a bad or unstable stock overclock

Drivers (Have tried the following to no avail):
Catalyst 13.1
Catalyst 13.4
Catalyst 13.6 beta

Current System Build:
OS: Dual boot Windows 7 Professional x64 and Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon x64
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX950 (CMPSU-950TX) 950W
Memory: 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
Storage: 3 HDD & 1 SSD

Previous GPU: 2 Nvidia GTX 460s SLI (PNY & EVGA)

Full build specs via Newegg wishlist:

Look forward to hearing from you and hope this issue can be resolved in the future (and also that my next card works).

Archived