Gay: Choice or born that way?

PeeKnuckle

I'm all for gay rights, but this argument is a poor one, just because someone is born with certain feelings does not justify their actions. Playing the Devil's Advocate, if pedophiles are born attracted to children and din't choose to have these feelings, should society berate them? Should there actions towards children be justified  and not criminalized. 

That being said, I do believe Gay people are born that way, they can't control their feelings and that's the way they are, I'm just saying that my Uncle was also born an alcoholic, and cannot control his cravings for alcohol, does that justify his actions?

Gay couples should have the same rights as any other couples, I just believe there's much more sound reasoning then the "I was born this way", especially since the other half of the LGBT movement tries to argue that people are born the way they are to justify homosexuality, BUT then argue that people aren't born the way they are intended to be to justify transgender and sex changes. You can't play both sides of the coin. 

I agree with Chinese, just because you feel a cetain way doesnt justify your actions, even if your are straight still doesnt make Rape ok, even if you have those feelings. I do beleive that they should have the same rights, but I dont think they need to redefine marriage to get it, define what gay marriage is and the rights with it. Being straight or gay shouldnt define you as a person I would hope it would be other traits that define who you are as a person.

I think people can be born pre-dispositioned towards certain things but they are still able to choose how to act or not act on them, thats what makes us human.

I don't think there was an argument here or any sort of justification. The person giving the interview asks two questions. By asking those two questions, he opened up some minds, and the people asked got it almost immediately.

For me and maybe some others, it broke down some stereotyping about homosexuals. That maybe "it's choice only or maybe a mixture of both".

I think CB said it perfectly.  

I do think some people need to grow up and learn that even if you disagree with somebody's choice because you think it is wrong doesn't make them a bad person.

Completely agree. We live in America, the country where you have the right to be wrong. Continuing with the analogy of my Uncle who is an alcoholic, I don't agree with the lifestyle of an alcoholic, but as an American you have the right to spend all your money on booze at the bar if you so please. Similarly, whether or not you agree with homosexuality, you should support the rights of homosexuals regardless of whether you approve of it or not. Just because you support the rights of a group of individuals does not mean you support their actions. 

You also idolize action movie stars and wrestlers.

If it were a choice, I don't think the amount of people in this world that are gay, chose to make their lives more difficult and the focus of scrutiny.

You idolize Patton, Time Bandits, and weed.

I never said it was a choice.

I think when you view the ratio of gay & lesbians in the world to heterosexual's its clearly something genetic, but isolated.  My analogy is  people that are color blind.  Its an genetic trait, but not because you were born with it, but because you were born without it, or it doesn't function properly.  In the example of being colored-blind, its because you are missing a cone cell or it doesn't function correctly.

Archived