So now I'm taking Kung Fu lessons

Kevnvek

Who's that guy in the blue shirt?

Yep, I'm learning Shou Shu Kung Fu at the Sheng Chi Center in Valley Springs.  They didn't have the full gis in yet, but this was my first day.  All of the lessons are shown online.  For self defense, exercise, and the sheer fun of learning it.  I like it so far.

Two days a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, plus a cardio/tai chi/yoga thing on Wednesdays.

this is pretty cool kevin. when you get good i'll fight you and we can stream it on gamercide.

Deal, it'll be like Jason Statham versus Jet Li, I'm sure lol.

Second day of the actual Kung Fu, starting to actually feel it a bit now because we were doing strikes and blocks and hitting the sides of the arms.  They record the Tuesday and Thursday sessions, all of them show up here a few hours after we finish. http://www.youtube.com/shengchifoundation

• 2 weeks later...

Today's lesson was pretty fun, learning to do rear kicks.

Some of it is a little awkward, but all of these moves are new to me, so it's a learning process.

Supposedly the shipment of gis and belts should be in on Thursday, so I'll finally have my full outfit and white belt (training).  I'm really liking the class so far, and have paid for the next three months so I can keep going in it.

• 3 weeks later...

The classes are still going well.  Although... looking at the move sets to be learned, it looks like "Bear Hug Escape From Behind" and "Bear Hug Escape From the Front" are the next couple moves to be learned.  Really out of my comfort zone.  But then again, that's one of the things I thought this would be good for.  Getting me out of some of my personal space issues (having aspergers and ADHD and all, not as socially adapted as some).  Maybe it won't be too horrible if I learn the technique with a female partner when we pair up? :P

• 1 month later...

First upgrade, now I've got some color on my belt; a yellow stripe.  I got it for showing that I'd learned all of the Yellow B techniques.  Subsequently I'll get two stripes after a review of what I've learned after Yellow C, then show that I've learned all of the material from Yellow A, B, and C (all yellow techniques) to earn the full yellow belt.

At the moment, they gave me a small sized belt symbolically, as they don't have the right sizes in at the moment, but I'll get a proper sized one when they come in.

I started on May 7th, so it took just under three months of lessons for the first set, but this is just the basics.  Further techniques like Orange will almost certainly take longer, and I won't be as likely to get them down satisfactorily as soon as I've learned them all to demonstrate for the belt upgrade (or stripe).

Archived