Win 8.1 info leaked - Boot to dektop option

PeeKnuckle

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/54153-code-leaked-windows-81-reveals-boot-desktop-option/

Microsoft’s Windows Blue (Windows 8.1 for PCs) update may well bring with it an option to boot straight to the desktop. This built-in option would be popular with a vociferous section of PC users who see the new Start Screen as inferior to the old Start Menu and don’t even want to see it once per reboot.

A Russian website called Microsoft Portal first revealed the “boot to desktop” code, which is found inside a system file called twinui.dll. These changes are seen in one of the recent leaked builds of Windows Blue/Windows 8.1. However if you have one of these test versions of Windows installed there is no switch or option in the control panel to make use of this feature or option at this time.

The pattern seems to continue.  Every other version of Windows is really good, while there's always something about the in between versions that people don't like.  I wouldn't want to see that smartphone style screen at all.  I'm perfectly happy with my taskbar and the quick search option.  Tap Windows key, type two or three letters, hit enter, profit.

There's several programs that put it back already. I don't really know why they ditched it as an option in the first place. The start screen isn't that bad. On a touch screen computer widows 8 is fantastic to use. Takes a bit of getting use to, but my wife really likes her laptop with it.

Yeah. Screw shuttles site. 800+ to add a 680gtx? Hahahaha

Excuse this mess, I'm on my phone, but here is a pretty good build.

Shuttle Barebones - 359.99

Intel i5 3550 w Fan - 199.99

8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz Cas9 - 69.99

WD Black 1TB - 99.99

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD - 149.99

Geforce 650 it Boost 2GB - 184.99

Or

radeon 7850 2GB - 204.99

About $1000 depending on what components and buying an OS. Of course there are better deals than the above if you shop around. I was just on tigerdirect and used them. The SSD will be worth it, but I would go with the larger capacity. You can get more capacity for the price with the non pro versions. A little performance loss, but probably worth the extra space.

The video card would be a toss up for me. I tend to favor nvidia, but the radeon card comes with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider right now. So, pretty damn good deal if you don't own then.

Either way, shuttle is the way to go for small form factor while keeping good performance. Throw in a wireless kb/m and a wireless xbox controller adapter and you are set.

Archived