Random Question (Post Office)

This is completely random, but after about 30 minutes of searching I'm not coming up with anything concrete.

I sold something on eBay, and I'm shipping it as First Class mail. Which is essentially basic delivery, 2-5 days. In order to schedule pickup on the USPS website...it says you have to have at least one Priority or Express package (which I don't). In your guys experiences, if I leave the package in the mailbox ready to go, would it be likely to be picked up? The issue is I want to get it out tomorrow but as I work 7-3, I'll be unable to get to the post office during business hours. And I want to get the thing out.

Figured someone might know, yinz are all smart and stuff. :)

Depends on the size and weight of the package. It has to be fairly light and small for them to take it from your mailbox. (I think under 10lbs with specific dimensions). Your best bet would be to leave it in the mailbox and then when you get home check if it's there.

I think as long as you have the proper postage on it you can throw it in your mailbox and they will pick it up.

Help Us Keep the Mail Safe
Keeping the mail safe is a top priority at USPS®. Avoid delays in your shipments by following these simple guidelines.

Only stamped mailpieces weighing 13 oz or less can be put in a blue collection box, Post Office lobby drop, USPS self-service kiosk drop, or any other unattended location.
If your mailpiece weighs more than 13 oz and is bearing only stamps as postage, you’ll need to take it to the retail counter of a Post Office™, Contract Postal Unit, or Approved Shipper location. If left in a mailbox, it won’t be picked up; if dropped in a collection box or lobby drop, it will be returned to you.

Archived