Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

spawn622

The House of Mouse has officially killed LucasArts and cancelled Star Wars 1313 and all other projects that were in development. I would say this is a sad day, but in all honesty Star Wars Kinect was the last game they developed and released and we all know how that turned out.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

It's funny how LucasArts and LucasFilm seemed like some huge company with ruthless business practices, but in actuality it was run more like a family business than most places. LucasArts is a case in point. They had literally hemorrhaged money for YEARS now, but George kept them going. Covering up their losses by having them under the Lucas name and finances. They got to make fully lackluster and in some cases completely shitty games and soldier on. Given money to make one man's whims a reality. Now that they are under the mouse eared umbrella, we will start to see what a ruthless (Which should be read, PROPER) business will do to something that isn't producing the green. The years of LucasArts were long ago and they were glorious. I will remember them fondly.

That's not necessarily true Chris.  With Disney licensing stuff out, it MIGHT be a possibility one day.  I really hope the license thing turns out some good Star Wars games in the coming years.  I am cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, lucasarts was sitting on a gold mine with the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, Roque Squadron, KOTOR, X-Wing/Tie Fighter, and we only got Lego games(which while good, got old fast), the force unleashed(eeehhhh), and TOR(which i'm still mad about, just wanted KOTOR3) this gen. Well that and.....

As someone who grew up on Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, and Pod Racer on the N64, KOTOR1 and 2 on the xbox, and just played through the entire Jedi Knight series....I kinda viewed modern lucasarts like Rare, not even a shell of its former self.

Most of the games mentioned as "favorites" by people weren't developed by LucasArts though:

Roque Squadron = Factor 5

KOTOR = Bethesda

KOTOR2 = Obsidian

X-Wing and Tie Figher Series = Totally Games

Lego Games = Telltale Games

Other than the adventure games and a few select Star Wars games, they didn't really develop that many games themselves.  Regardless, they had been in the red for years.  Sad really.  Lots of talent there.

Yeah but wasn't Rogue Squadron jointly developed by LA and F5, and published by LA? 

F5 is a good group also.  I enjoyed LAIR on the PS3, which was essentially Rogue Squadron on the back of a dragon (and horrid motion controls at launch haha)

I had a little mini party with some friends from out of town at my place back in the beginning of March.  Needless to say we all had some drinks, I broke out the Kinect, and many laughs were had at other people's expense with the dancing game in that Star Wars monstrosity. 

I've also only tried the Rancor game. Thats about it. 

Man, thinking back over the years at how many games I purchased just because it had "LucasArts" on the box.  I literally bought and still have every single game they put out.  Still have original boxes for the likes of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle.  I don't know if that's sad or awesome.  The jury is still out.  I've even...**gulp** DEFENDED Star Wars Kinect.  Such a fanboy.

What the fuck is that utter pile of garbage?

Explain to me 2 things:

1 - Why does something so trivial in a game illicit such a harsh reaction? It is just a game.

2 - What exactly is wrong with having fun with a franchise?

The hatred towards this game just seems completely silly to me.

Probably just because of the lack of quality Star Wars games in the recent years, yeah they didn't make a good bit of of the games, but they did have control of the IP and who to give it out to/get to make the games. When Battlefront 3 can't get finish and ....that.... makes it to release, you are bound to piss of some people.

Archived