Borderlands 2 news from today's event

PeeKnuckle

On the flip side, if there was day one DLC, that would have been all right? ;)

Three DLC's have been released in a good time frame, with a 4th around the corner. The new character is an added bonus and so is the new level cap. It'll only be exciting for the more hardcore players with nothing left to do. Going on Gearbox's metrics, only 16% of their players have a character at level 50.

First of all I am happy with the support they are giving to the game. It is a good value.

That said, I have only played the base game for Borderlands 2 with Maya and then experimented with all the characters a little bit including the Mechromancer. I have not played any of the other new DLC. Overall, I still liked Borderlands 1 better. I have been thinking, what was it about Borderlands 1 that I liked so much better?? I mean come on Borderlands 2 has more characters, new missions, more story, different guns etc.. 

Slam me if you think I am wrong. My conclusion is the loot and rewards. I felt like I was rewarded more for my time in BL1 than in BL2. When we opened a red chest in BL1 I felt like most of the time I got something usable to decent and sometimes really cool. When we killed a boss in BL1 we generally got something cool, fun and was actually an upgrade. They had a chance to really blow us away with some of the loot and rewards in BL2 but I just didn't see it.

In B2 all the chests seemed pointless to me. Some you had to work for and you still did not get anything cool. I don't remember finding anything that blew me away unless it was the golden key chest. There was stuff here and there but I would rather find an obscure chest in the world and get rewarded that way or kill a tough boss and he drops some random amazing weapon. In short the loot was ok but not the caliber of stuff I think they could of made.

Secondly, for me Lilith was more fun to play than any BL2 character that I have played. Phasewalking was just cool.

I am however intrigued by these new announcements and would not mind coming back to BL2 to see if anything got better. Pearlescent weapons sound cool. This could be a question for Peeknuckle. In your opinion has any of the DLC packs added anything spectacular that could draw me back in? These new announcements could we will see.

One more thought. I would love to have a DLC that adds a playground mode like they showed. I know it is used for development but I would love an area to spawn things and just goof off. It would not have to be as robust as what they use for development but a simple playground would be cool.

I can agree with the loot drop.  It just didn't feel rewarding, or consistent. I really enjoyed the game, but I never felt like I was finding decent gear. I seemed to continue using the same guns over and over for each level.  Oh, and isn't the Creature Slaughter Dome what you're talking about?

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/208690/

I can agree with the loot drop.  It just didn't feel rewarding, or consistent. I really enjoyed the game, but I never felt like I was finding decent gear. I seemed to continue using the same guns over and over for each level.  Oh, and isn't the Creature Slaughter Dome what you're talking about?

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/208690/

I was thinking more of a playground like Gary's Mod. A place where I can just spawn some random stuff. Test builds, weapons ect. that are not necessarily brought back to the main game. Like a Borderlands Laboratory.

First, I'll agree with the loot dropping in the first game being better than the second. If I'm completely honest, it just did. I could find an orange in several vending machines or from enemies before I beat the game. Almost all of my characters had several legendaries before completing the first playthrough. With that said, however, and it is hard to say -- I do like that you can farm certain bosses for specific legendary gear. If I want an Infinity pistol, I farm Doc Mercy. If I want a Bee shield, I farm Hunter Hellquist. While the drop rates for farming are pretty terrible, it does increase your odds for getting the gear you want. If you were playing the first game, it'd all be up to chance. It's not that I enjoy farming the same person/creature over and over. It's that I know what he can drop and I'm not relying on dice rolls for that one orange item to drop out of many.

Added anything spectacular? No is my short answer. The Torgue DLC was hilarious in it's story, but it focused on the manufacturer of the explosive guns, and I don't like explosive guns much at all. Hammerlock's DLC was just criminally short. Sure there were side missions, but they were time inflated with fetch quests. The actual story missions you could count on one hand if I recall correctly. Pirate Booty was okay. It had some interesting weapons, good humor and the boats were a blast to drive. It was messy, though. The clipping in the game was pretty bad. You'd appear to be floating a few feet off of the ground, because the DLC wasn't polished and you were standing on invisible flooring.

The Pearlescents from the first game were kick ass. They were super rare to find, but it made your week when you found one. If the drop rates remain the same, these current Pearls will be nothing short of impossible to find naturally. There's already a gun that is supposed to drop in the Torgue DLC (Cobra - exploding sniper), that is almost impossible to get to drop and it's only a blue tiered weapon.

Lillith was always my girl in the first game. She was just so much fun to play with. I didn't like Maya as much at first, but once I specced her right and outfitted her in good gear . . .  she wrecks and is very fun to play as. She's also a great support class for co-op.

Thanks PK for that awesome response! I may have to come back to check out BL2 again. I finished it and felt like I let it go too quickly. I did not really have anyone to play it with on 360 though. My brother-in-law let his go pretty quick. Maya is cool I just miss Lilith. I liked running super fast and lighting everything on fire haha.

Lately I have been playing Bioshock 1. I got the ultimate rapture edition for my birthday since I have never played those games.

Archived