SimCity

Nick

I think Mrs B nailed it about indies, kickstarters, and the rest. As for Dragon Ages and Mass Effects, well, is that what we really want? Churned out IPs? They are good games, but good games can be made without all this BS.

Aside from that, we have entered the world of digital distribution. These power house publishers should not hold the power they once did. Sure, it still costs a lot of money to host the content, etc. But I can't believe, with games being such a major money business now, that other investors cannot be found.

So yes, it is a war of attrition. If developers get caught in the cross fire then they need to pick the right side. I don't know about you, but I don't continue to support a company or service that treats me like shit. Even if my close friends would be effected by my loss of business. Get off the ship, change its course, or go down with it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they need to pick the right side.

Precisely.

May not be easy and it may mean suffering for awhile, but you'll always maintain your integrity and know you did the right thing. I left a well paying job at age 25, solely based on how upper management treated their managers. They were blessed with great management, but still felt the need to belittle or threaten them. It was a poisonous atmosphere and I had to get out fast. Upper management, if left alone to run the place, would have run it into the ground. They only knew the numbers and had no clue how things worked in production or on the line itself.

That's how I view EA's relationship with their developers and studios. A grumpy, cigar chomping fatcat bellowing impossible orders to get more numbers to look at.

I'd be willing to set up a region a few of us can play. You can invite a few of your friends too if you have any that bought the game. I have one who I regularly play with and one who I bought the game for. 

My Origin ID is YellerBelly. 

I have been playing on Europe West 2 due to the NA servers being shit. But I'm going to be switching over to one of the NA servers soon. I'll keep you posted when I get in touch with my buddy. 

Of course, the irony here is thick. EA and Maxis are shutting down
gameplay features in order to make sure that a title doesn’t really
*need* to be online, can remain online anyway to keep the DRM component
in place.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/07/we-built-this-simcity-on-a-shaky-foundation-of-drm/

Also, Amazon has ceased selling digital copies of SimCity.

Hey, SolRush. Me and a buddy got into US East 2 and we have a map. We'd love for you to join. Next time you're in game, look on your friends list and if I'm playing you can click me and join!

Polygon has edited their review score two times since their initial review score. It goes as follows 9.5 > 8.0 > 4.0.

http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

I'm glad they did this. EA was asking reviewers to base their scores on gameplay done at their offices, on their reserved, private server. It's not the same experience one would have once they played that same game at home. My belief is, EA didn't want their metacritic score to be tainted at launch. If reviewers followed EA's instructions, that review would be high. If the reviewers had waited to play it at home (they were given codes), that score would surely be much lower.

Kudos to Polygon, I say. It may damage their ability to receive swag and invitations from EA in the future, but they can feel good in knowing they did the right thing.

So from this I have learned...

• EA still sucks
  • EA still values their wallets more than the consumer
  • EA support is trying to compete with Comcast for worst customer service ever
  • EA really didn't seem to have any recovery plan in place for something like this, also horrible PR
  • EA would rather remove game features instead of giving what everyone else wants... No DRM
  • I'm never buying anything directly though Origin (unless it is dirt cheap)
  • Always online DRM is still the stupidest idea to come to game publishers (Ubisoft is also guilty of this)
  • What could have been, and likely still is a great game, has been crippled by DRM that eventually won't stop pirates anyway
  • My hope for the Sim franchise has been crippled
  • I'm not going to buy any games at release from EA
  • Even if I love the developer, if they partner with EA, they are dead to me (Who they choose to partner with is really their choice anyway, this is exactly what happened to BioWare IMO)

Congratz EA!

Archived