SimCity

Nick

I'm sorry, this game can suck a gigantic cock. EA won't refund me due to their live chat client (the only way to contact them, since their lines are busy or hang up on you after you wait around 300 minutes) crashing, so I'm just going to freaking dispute my transaction in the morning.

The servers is a problem I can handle. What I can't handle is it almost frying my GPU. This is the dumbest fucking piece of software I've had to deal with in a while.

I was so mad, I went to IHOP.

French toast doesn't require me to be online to enjoy.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically if I run the game for more than 5 - 10 minutes, it overheats the GPU. Can't 100% figure out why either, especially since it's on the bare minimum graphical setting, and it's not like it's particularly taxing to the system in the first place. A lot of people are reporting the same problem, and apparently another person had their soundcard blow out somehow during their entire PC overheating. That may have been their own fault partially, but still, this is ridiculous.

Still have yet to be online for more than a few hours at a time. 

I was on EU West 2 server with a buddy and it was working flawlessly an hour ago. Then they took it down for maintenance. Now I can't get past the launcher. lolololol

That was a great comparison you linked PK. I think something should be added to that. If I walked into a restaurant and had to pay to get in THEN never had food served to me. That is where we are with these games. Don't forget you would also have to compare the refund procedure. If you walked into a restaurant and received the same poor service a manager would be doing everything in their power to sooth you. Money back, free food etc. Imagine how you would react if they said "sorry we can't give you your money back, but you can try again in the next week to get food. " Any place like that would shut down in the first week.

It's time to stop putting up with excuses. I find myself wondering why we even buy these games that say you may or may not play it at our discretion. Would we sign or agree to any other service that told us that?

I think the bigger problem is that even if as a community we boycott EA it doesn't hurt them as nearly as much as it would hurt the developers. If Sim City were to fail what would happen? EA change it's practice and be better? No it'll gut Maxis and then take over SIm City forever to be a even worst product. Right now we have a good game from all reports but the business model which EA has hindered it. I'm not sure what the answer is for getting nonsense business practices out of gaming but I don't think it can happen from the consumer side but instead developers must be able to stand independence from the marketing side of things but again I don't know how you would ever do that.

War of attrition. They keep responding to poor sales due to customer outrage by cutting developers and they will end up with nothing but bad games.

Besides, it isn't just EA. They may be the big bad wolf, but Blizzard is just as guilty and there will be more that follow.

If I were a developer, I wouldn't want to be under EA's thumb. Even if it's just a publishing deal and I'm not working directly for them. If you do, and your ideas are purged in favor of EA's designs and decisions . . . you sort of put yourself into that boat.

This isn't a good game, it's fucking my computer up. Not to mention the changes they've made to the game to make it prettier have taken away from a good chunk of strategy utilized in previous SimCity games. Type of housing based on road density? Really?

EA won't refund my money because my browser either closes their chat window, or they close the case before I talk to anyone. In a game where I'm forced to play online, you can bet your sweet bippy I'm going to be basing the game rating on the service.

This isn't a good game, it's fucking my computer up. Not to mention the changes they've made to the game to make it prettier have taken away from a good chunk of strategy utilized in previous SimCity games. Type of housing based on road density? Really?

EA won't refund my money because my browser either closes their chat window, or they close the case before I talk to anyone. In a game where I'm forced to play online, you can bet your sweet bippy I'm going to be basing the game rating on the service.

See, I think there is still a lot of strategy. It's much, much harder to keep a city rolling than it was in previous SimCity games. You need constant maintenance and once they get (if they get?) the servers figured out (they're patching all of them now) the coop will be great. I've played a bit of the online with my buddy and it works really well with connected cities. Just need to wait for this bullshit to get shoveled. Also, housing isn't based on road density. Nimber of houses and size of houses is based off of road density. You can have low income Sims in tower apartments and high income Sims. 

As far as your computer, that's weird. I hadn't seen anything online about that before I read it here. 

VE5koCi.jpg

"The SimCity Service is closed for maintenance and will reopen at <parameter string> GMT. For more information, please go to blah blah"

Mine still says that too. From the site they linked, it seems like it's taking about 2 hours to patch each server. 

They did two major things wrong, and I wish they'd just come out and admit it.

They rushed this release and it shows. Probably pushed by EA to meet some sort of financial plan or demand.

They didn't allow for pre-loading of pre-purchased games. That would have eased the server demand on actual launch time. EA knows this, and still decided to do nothing about it.

We can go back and forth on how this is a business, and that servers are expensive -- they won't throw more on until they know they've sold enough units, etc. Here's the main thing, though. Launch disasters can tarnish game sales past launch numbers. The diehard fans have already purchased your game. The ones curious about the game, will have heard about how bad the servers are and so on.

EA won't learn from this. They're shouldered worse storms and still continue to profit off of gamers.

This is all true but esp. it being a war of attrition I just don't know if the gaming community is willing to allow developers go under one after another to prove a point to a publisher. I don't like that EA's business model I'm pretty sure no one does but the truth of the matter is that they are big. EA matters they have power so either they are destroyed by a competitor or we continue to buy from them. That is the reality at the moment it's not pretty but it's all we have.

I understand that if you have EA as a publisher you get flak for it, but I mean who else could possible put these games out with the capital needed to make them?  Could we really get a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game from a indie right now? I mean it sucks but it's how the system works you get huge sums of money and a AAA game but with the strings attached. And I really don't think the community as a whole will accept not getting triple A titles anymore.

Again I'm not defending EA or their practices but if there is to be a discuss on what can be done to make things better you can't ignore the reality of the situation.

Just updated. Says servers will be available by 12AM GMT. So probably by 1AM GMT. 

Also, I saw that. That's typical for EA customer service though so I'm not too shocked. 

As for indie groups and big titles - look at kickstarter. DoubleFine had money pretty much flung at them enough to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool. If it's a game people want, people will generally back it if they get a perk or bonus with it.

I keep throwing money at SkullGirls for christ's sake, and I haven't even purchased it yet.

So I'm on the phone with Origin, and I'm telling them that their game is overheating my GPU. I tell them, it's crashing my game, and my PC. I would like a refund, since I can't even play the game I paid for, even though I meet the game requirement specifications (they admitted it was well). 

NOT GIVING REFUNDS AT THIS TIME. But wait, what's this press release? 

Cool, no refund.

Just told me no refund. Because they called me at 3:49pm. They were giving refunds before noon. I submitted my request around 11am. How the fuck is it my fault? 

Fuck them, I'm calling my bank. They can ban my fucking account all they want.

Archived