Pandora adding 40 hour mobile cap

Skylark95

It doesn't. I just think Pandora is just getting greedy for money. Based on their last Financial reports they are not exactly hurting either. They just want to get more money from users...

That said, you can’t help but wonder if this is really about royalty rates. As we broke it down previously, while Pandora doesn’t enjoy the same rates radio stations do, they’re not exactly paying through the nose per song, either. In fact, one of our regular commenters Flexhead dug up their latest quarterly report, which tells us a bit more of what’s going on here.

Pandora, last quarter, pulled in $120 million in revenue, with nearly two-thirds of that arriving courtesy of mobile listeners.

Yeah I read that. I wonder what all counts as mobile use? I do use it on my stereo receiver from time to time.

Meh, everyone is money hungry. Take my damn phone service. I have the option of 300mb bandwidth or 3gb because they 'say' most people use around 3. I'm currently grandfathered on the 2gb plan but I use less than that but more than 300mb. And now it's no text messaging or unlimited. It's absolute bullshit. They could offer lower tiers for lower prices but they choose not to out of greed.

I heard the loyalty costs are going up by like 33%? I have no idea if this is true or not, but they use to cap the browser when it was new, i just made several accounts when they had a cap.

I also heard they have a hack for the android  to remove the cap. 

and finally, I enjoy pandora and i pay $36 dollars a year and it seems well worth it for me when i would like to discover some new stuff.

I love Pandora for finding new music, but fuck that. I hate it when companies pull this shit on people. It's getting old. Knock on wood, but I hope Grooveshark stays awesome. I donated $ to them because I wanted to, not because I wanted some ad-free experience, or because they were limiting how many songs I could listen to on a free account.

Archived