The Ultimate History of Video Games

PeeKnuckle

JB included this book into my awesome Secret Santa package last Christmas. I'm really glad he did. It is a fascinating history lesson. My son is now reading it, and he's already hooked.

I didn't like the format of the book at first. It'd state facts and stories, and intermingled direct quotes from the people behind the games/companies. I soon loved the format, though, since it gave time capsule-esque rantings and sour grape quotes (Trip Hawkins, I look at you). The video game world is CUT THROAT. The people can be vicious and especially, underhanded. It starts at the coin op era, before they released Pong. Many of the big names in gaming today, had their fingers in gaming, before it even hit the public.

I'm hoping the author expands it, since it ends just before the Obox & PS2 released.

Great book! Buy, borrow or steal. I mean it.

He's loving it as much as I did.

I first started reading it, after you sent it to me. Put it down soon after, though, since the beginning history of gaming isn't too interesting. It's not until Pong hits the market and the lawsuits after, that it got interesting for me. From that point on, I couldn't put it down.

Archived