Custom PC Build

vectordream

Wow thanks fluffypandaknight!! Great advice and links. Yeah your right probably should buy it all at once just in case something is not working.

I was planning on getting a 600W Power Supply like the one in my Amazon wish list.

I am excited! Can't wait to build this computer!

It would be a little bit, but I was just going by what he'd need for top of the line now. ~550 for a 680gtx and an i7 quad core.  The way things go, power consumption has been a top priority, but personally I would still go with something bigger. He was saying 600 watt, and that will probably be fine.  Just trying to make a compromise between price and size.

Nice Nick!

It would be a little bit, but I was just going by what he'd need for top of the line now. ~550 for a 680gtx and an i7 quad core.  The way things go, power consumption has been a top priority, but personally I would still go with something bigger. He was saying 600 watt, and that will probably be fine.  Just trying to make a compromise between price and size.

Nice Nick!

I really appreciate all the input guys. I have been watching this thread alot in anticipation of what you guys say next :)

I figure 600W would get me going for awhile and the price it not terribly different. As far as video cards I wish I could get that Nvidia 680. Its expensive! I want a go with a 2GB card and will probably go with that Geforce 660 OC. Seems like a nice mid range card and it is about half the price of that 680. I figure I won't have to upgrade it for awhile. I will probably go with a mid-tower case to keep prices down even though I know full tower would probably be best. I saw some killer mid-tower cases for $50-$70 bucks lol.

Anyone ever run dual graphics cards? I won't be on this build but sounds interesting. I have never done that before.

Is the mother board I linked in my wish list somewhat future proof? I figure if I get the right board I can upgrade graphics cards, RAM and processors for a bit until I have to rebuild.

This is fun can't wait to get all the parts. Half the fun is putting it together. I have not done this for a long time so I am sure I might run into a snag or two while building it.

Processor: Intel Sandy Bridge Core I3-2120 3.30 GHz, 4 cores, 3Mb Cache, 64 bit, DDR3-1333MHz, Socket 1155 (Third Generation)
Ram: Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory Kit
Hard Disk: Western Digital 2TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 64MB Cache Bulk/OEM
Headset: A4Tech HS-200(For everything) and Allen & Heath Xone XD53 Headphones(Well i don't use them really much, but when i test out mixes i do,really horrible for cs and gaming)
Mouse: A4TECH X7 SUPER-COMBO 7 USB WIRELESS OPTICAL MOUSE (XG-760) BLK(modified). I got 2 other mouses, one of them is for office work, and the other one is broken from hitting my desk xD
Power Supply: Cooler Master RS700-AMBAD3-US Silent Pro M 700W Power Supply - ATX, Modular, 700 Watt, 80+ Bronze Certified, SLI Ready, 135mm Ultra Silent Fan
Graphic Card: DA POWA! http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-690
Windows 7 64-bit

Posted in many communities, and i know that I'm bottlenecking i3 with gtx690 :(

Anyone ever run dual graphics cards? I won't be on this build but sounds interesting. I have never done that before.

I've run multi-gpu's for many years now.  Personally I think the technology never really emerged the way it was intended?  Both nvidia and amd are always fighting with proper gpu scaling, They try to address it with constant driver updates, but multi-gpu's still remain problematic imo.  I recently added a 3rd 680 to my rig, and now wish I'd used the money for a more practical upgrade like a new mobo and proc.  Lets not even talk about Dat and how he coerced me into buying another laptop :P

Haha. And I also had tried to get you to come off one of those 680s at one point. Or maybe it was the 580. Lol.

I think, if you can find the second card used or end of life and cheap it is a good upgrade for the future, but I don't recommend trying to save money by running sli on two cheaper cards. You can often find a better price/performance ratio, but you'll often find yourself waiting on drivers when a new game releases or manually tweaking them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived