Ex-Raiders coach Callahan denies allegations of throwing 2003 Superbowl

ThermoNukePanda

Bill Callahan was head coach of the Raiders, during a year that my team showed AMAZING performance and skill that hasn't been seen in a decade now.

And he hated his team.

Now allegations are coming out that Callahan purposely threw the game during Oakland's 48-21 superbowl loss to Tampa in 2003, allegations made by more than one player now.

Two of their best receivers on the field, Tim Brown and the legendary Jerry Rice, both commented in recent interviews that they felt Callahan sabotaged the team and their chances by completely switching the team's game plan less than two days before the big event. Instead of the ground oriented game the team had been practicing, Callahan made the mysterious last minute switch to a pass heavy offense. A switch that ultimately cost the Raiders the loss after Rich Gannon threw five interceptions, with THREE of those returned for touchdowns.

Oakland, boasting the league's #1 offense that year, completely fell apart against Tampa's #1 rated defense. Brown and Rice seem to want to let people know why.

"We all called it sabotage, because Callahan and Gruden was good friends, and Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, hated the Raiders, and only came because Gruden made him come," - Tim Brown

"I was very surprised that he waited till the last second and I think a lot of the players they were surprised also so in a way maybe because he didn't like the Raiders he decided 'Hey look maybe we should sabotage just a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one,'" - Jerry Rice

Gruden was the previous head coach of the Raiders just before Callahan. Gruden became the youngest head coach ever to win a superbowl after his victory over Oakland.

I don't know about you guys, but as always I say when there is smoke there is fire. There is already enough shady shit I'm noticing more and more with sports (NFL in particular) and I wouldn't be surprised if Callahan did throw a bone to not only the dude who hired him (Gruden), but also "let" his friend win by switching gameplans. I mean for fuck's sake the whole reason they were going to focus heavy on a running game was because Tampa had THE #1 DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. They knew if they went to the air so much they would get destroyed, and Callahan did it anyways.

What do you think PK? Just curious since you're a fan too.

I never liked Callahan. I always thought he was a poor choice for the Raiders. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Davis had a hand in the game plan change as well. Davis wanted his team to be exciting and he thought running the ball was boring. Many ex coaches have said their game plans would be changed at Davis' behest. That's also why I liked Gruden so much. He stood up to Davis.

I also think if it were any players besides Timmy and Rice, it wouldn't get taken seriously.

Its not like the raider didnt have a great passing game though....rich g was mvp and with brown n rice.

This is true, but the thing is they had been training for a few weeks to go with an aggressive ground game in order to get past Tampa's #1 defense (which was knowingly superior against the pass offense, and slightly lacking against run defense).

Callahan switched it up less than 2 days ahead of time for some reason. I think it's a bit suspicious. Don't get me wrong, Gannon had a rocket arm and Rice + Brown were definitely threats.

Archived