GSP Is Back!

Pogre

Did anyone watch UFC 154, Georges ST Pierre vs Carlos Condit? If not, *SPOILERS BELOW*

georges-st-pierre-carlos-condit.jpg

What a battle. GSP came back from a very lengthy layoff due to a torn MCL, which led to a torn ACL. A devastating, possibly career ending injury. The champ, although showing some signs of ring rust, and was almost put away in the third round, came back to win decisively over a very game Carlos Condit in what turned out to be his toughest fight to date.

Aside from a brilliant kick to the head of GSP from Condit that almost ended the fight early in the third round, the story of this epic battle was GSP and his freakish abilities as a wrestler. Repeatedly taking Condit down at will, defending his sweeps and sub attempts while controlling long enough to pass his guard and drop punishing elbows and hammer fists. To Carlos' credit, he did stay busy from the bottom, landing some shots, regaining his guard repeatedly, almost pulling off a sub and damn near finishing the fight in the third round.

gsp6.jpg

In the end, GSP's superior athleticism and wrestling (though he was no slouch on his feet) was what won the battle. He opened a cut over Carlos' right eye in the first round that plagued him for the rest of the night, though Carlos did land a beautiful head kick in the third round after a brilliant combo setup which almost ended the fight.

ufc154_12_gsp_vs_condit_021.png

GSP was able to hang on and recover, compose himself, then actually go on to steal the round with his wrestling, Jiu Jitsu defense and ground and pound. From there he controlled and punished Carlos the entire fight. I ain't gonna lie though, I was shitting bricks when Georges went down. He hasn't been hurt like that since the Serra fight, and we know how that turned out... I thought it was over for sure.

georges-st-pierre-p1.jpg

Folks criticize GSP's style because he doesn't always finish fights. I for one, think he made an awesome comeback. Do you have to finish your opponent to win impressively? Dana didn't think so, awarding them with the fight of the night, both earning an additional $70,000 bonus. Not too shabby. There's no doubt both guys have hearts of champions and left it all in the ring.

GSPversusCONDITfight-408x288.jpg

321_georges_st-pierre_vs_carlos_condit.0_standard_352.0.jpg

So what's next for the champ? A superfight with Anderson Silva (who was present for this fight)? Nick Diaz? Johny Hendricks (who is on a 3 fight winning tear with another impressive first round knockout over Martin Kampman on this same card)? GSP said he will fight anyone at 170. Silva has fought at that weight in the past, and has been very vocal about wanting this fight at a possible catch weight. I would like to see either one of the three I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2roJH2JmPY

For the moment, Georges has said he wants to take some time off, enjoy his victory and recuperate before committing to anything. There are lots of talks and contract negotiations ahead. He (or the UFC) didn't want to look past this fight and have been 100% focused on Carlos and UFC 154, though Georges did say at the post fight presser, a superfight with Anderson isn't out of the question... at welterweight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxcKWDnDHY

Lol

I want to see him fight Diaz just so GSP can smash him. Silva is a great fight too, but I agree with Georges. It would have to be at 170. Silva could balloon up to over 200 lbs from the time of the weigh-in to the time of the fight if there's a catch weight. I think Silva would have a distinct size advantage. For the same reason, he [Anderson] isn't exactly chomping at the bit to fight Jon Jones in another possible superfight.

Kira! I was wondering if you'd pop in this thread. Didn't know if you were an mma fan. Though I know you wacky Canadians voted GSP athlete of the year over an olympic medalist!

Not that he doesn't deserve it. There aren't many out there like him.

Archived