Ricochet

Avahra

For those of you who dare follow my ranting on twitter I mention my novel, Ricochet a lot. Spawn recently asked if there was a preview up anywhere, and while I thought I had posted one, I hadn't. This is it. This isn't the beginning, it's taken from the middle of the novel where the story takes a turn. I snipped a little bit of it to spare you all some spoilers. Anyhow, grammar is probably atrocious, but it's in it's roughest state.

It was an accident. You were driving way to fast on an icy road. Blinded by your anger you never saw the turn coming, although in hindsight you should have known better. After all, you drove this road every day. But everything is different when it's night and there is a blizzard, isn't it? You hit hard, and you wrecked everything you took with you, your body was so mangled and broken there wasn't ever going to be any hope for you. Trust me, it's better off this way. The car behind you saw everything that happened, and stopped to call for help and see if he could provide anything himself.

You DO recognize him don't you? I can tell you recognize him, vaguely. That man that stopped was the Doctor Arondo, you almost completely destroyed his medical practice in a lawsuit even you knew was bull ****. The responders arrived quickly, and the three of them did everything within their power to save you. They risked their lives in the frostbiting chill to save the life of a stranger, a nobody. There was no point. You were gone the second your car drove off that slippery road into the snow bank. But what about your wife, you ask? Tonight she'll wonder where you are, and be suspicious that you are with your secretary, oh yes, she knew. When she receives the news it will be from a patrol officer, he will try to express his sympathy but he is tired it is 2 am and he just wants to go home to be with his family. She'll mourn you of course, as will everyone who knew you, but she'll have a great sense of relief that you're gone. Under her nightstand she had been filling out papers for a divorce, surprising? Shouldn't be, you were never home, and well, your marriage was falling apart, and the fling with your secretary was just the last draw. Worry not, she'll find what she is looking for, and you will just be another lesson in a lifetime. You weren't a good person, Jack. A manipulative man you rose to power in your practice, you made a life out of destroying others in the courtroom, with enough money you could have won any case. Looking back now you have regrets, things you could have done differently? Such anger, and hostility towards everyone you had ever known, but for what reason? Only you know the answer to this, but thankfully, Jack, I believe in second chances. However, you're going to have to learn some lessons you neglected to learn in your past life. You’re going to have to earn the love and devotion of those you once despised. Welcome to your new life, Jack. Let’s hope you have what it takes to (snip for spoilers)

Thank you.

And no, it's a book YOU will be reading.

yeah, the main char is a total douche. I had plenty of inspiration from past men in my life to model him after, he's a total ****. But by the end you'll (hopefully) love him again

Also, If you are genuinely interested in reading it in it's entire form as it develops I do have a google doc link that I'll give to you. I'm trying to update it weekly with a couple chapters, so 1) MY followers aren't overwhelmed by a wall of text 2) It gives my "editor" grace a chance to try and fix all my mistakes. Just let me know

Archived