Super 8

spawn622

J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg are teaming up to make J.J.'s next film, Super 8. Very little is known at this point, but if you saw Iron Man 2 this past weekend, you probably saw the trailer. This will be a very Spielberg-esque film, a la Close Encounters or E.T. It will be released under Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment label and set in 1979. Trailer below looks AMAZING if you are a J.J./Spielberg fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPcta5V5dA0

It would look interesting if it wasn't the EXACT same thing as Cloverfield. Sure the events and places are different, but the basics are the exact same. Something happens, a mysterious apparently invisible monster gets loose. You have to watch the entire movie until the last 10 minutes to get a clear shot of what it looks like. lol

It would look interesting if it wasn't the EXACT same thing as Cloverfield. Sure the events and places are different, but the basics are the exact same. Something happens, a mysterious apparently invisible monster gets loose. You have to watch the entire movie until the last 10 minutes to get a clear shot of what it looks like. lol

Sure you know about a movie that hasn't even started filming yet. Good job man . . . Good job. :rolleyes:

You have to admit that the trailer looks exactly the same as Cloverfield. Same lure: There's a scary monster! Come watch the movie so you can see it!

Actually, no I don't have to admit anything. Until I know more about the film I won't say it's exactly like anything. Knowing how good J.J. is as a writer and director and how amazing Spielberg has been throughout his career, I highly doubt this will be "exactly the same as Cloverfield".

Didn't your parents teach you the "if you don't have anything nice to say" adage? Just wondering.

• 9 months later...

Full trailer is out and after The Smurfs trailer, this should help get that bad taste out of your eyes. I'm really excited to see what J.J. can do with this type of film. Looks like a cross between Cloverfield and the kid movies of the 80's like The Goonies and Stand By Me.

<br>

<br>

<iframe title="Twitvid video player" class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="550" height="413" src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=T6FFB&autoplay=0" frameborder="0"></iframe></p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Far from it man. I loved it so very much. If you grew up with the Spielberg films and liked them, this is truly a love letter to that genre. Bravo JJ and Steven.

See, this may be the reason I don't go see this movie. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Spielberg's work (Close Encounters, E.T., Indiana Jones, etc.) but the fact that this movie was so obviously a parody of those films, that was my initial impression while watching the trailer, that I feel like I'm not getting a unique experience but rather a modern day take on the sci-fi genre that Spielberg pioneered. This may be a bad example, but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the most obvious Indy movie that tried emulating the serial movies/shows the films were based upon as well as the three previous films. The original three, in my opinion, still retained their own feel but the 4th just seemed "over done." Another example would be Superman Returns. It wasn't a terrible movie but it tried so hard to fit into the Superman universe that it just didn't feel original in its own right but rather an attempt at "copying" the previous films. Obviously these films are sequels, but I feel that nowadays the experiences in the movie theater are often times very blatant rehashes rather than original works (but you can even argue about how original a work is, there's an entire series about that on youtube that extensively shows how star wars, and other films, weren't original,

, but you can argue about the presentation and so on).

So, I may have to skip on this one, not necessarily because I think it will be terrible, but because I want a unique experience at the theater (especially with how pricey it is now!)

Here is what I wrote on facebook to someone I know after he said he didn't care for the movie (I wrote this a few hours before I posted here):

I haven't seen it, but the trailer made me feel like it was trying too hard to be a Close Encounters meets E.T. meets every other scifi movie from the 70's/80's (basically all of Spielberg's early work) for this generation. I like J.J., but I want to see an original movie, not a modern day version of the above, but then again both of his other films were a sequel (MI:III) and a series reboot (Star Trek). His television days prove that he has the capacity to covey really great original material, though, he should just start bringing that to the big screen!

tl;dr been there, seen that

But that's the thing TK, it only feels like those movies. It's not a retread at all. The entire point of the film was to go back and bring something on par with Close Encounters, ET, or Goonies but to allow JJ to work his story magic. To that effect, the film works damn near flawlessly. I'm not saying you should drop the coin on it in the theater, but if you even had/have a passing interest in the films that it's feel was derived from, you will fall in love with the movie. It's not a been there, done that type of film at all.

• 5 months later...

I guess I'm a picky movie goer. I watched the movie with my dad over Thanksgiving at home. It was a good movie, but the fact that it was a modern day take on all of those classic films kind of turned me off to it a bit. Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable movie that entertained me, but I wouldn't say that Super 8 was a "classic" or something I will remember. It didn't do anything new for me, which is really what I try to find in movies nowadays (see something that hasn't been done before). But, like I said, I'm a tough critic.

Care to post any (with a *Spoiler Alert*, though)?

A lot of the things I find wrong in movies are small and would seem extremely trivial to most. Overall, the movie suffered from the same thing most of J.J.'s movies do...overuse of lens flare. Star Trek is the best example of this. There are also a few continuity issues, time period to logo issues, prop to time period issues, etc. Those types of things take me out of a movie completely.

Archived