Project Ten Dollar - EA has lost its mind

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to play online if you bought your game used?

• Sure, I don't mind. I saved some loot anyways by buying used
    • Heck no. This is a stupid idea
    • WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUU!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!??!!?!!!?!!!

From Joystiq:

EA just announced the next step of its "Project Ten Dollar" initiative, one that's likely to affect a lot of people much more deeply than the allure of some extra DLC. Starting with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, out June 8, EA Sports games for PS3 and Xbox 360 will include a title-specific "Online Pass" that enables access to "online services, features, and bonus content." If the code has already been redeemed (i.e. if you bought the game used) additional Online Passes will be available for (you guessed it!) ten dollars. Each game will include a seven-day free trial.

The online services under the Online Pass vary by game, but an EA rep told us they can include basic online multiplayer, as well as group/league features, roster and playbook updates, downloads of user-created content (like Photo Game Faces) and tournament support.

We'd think GameStop would be most upset about this plan, given that it's basically the destination for trade-ins of last year's sports games toward the new model, but CEO Dan DeMatteo offers a cheerful quote in the announcement. "GameStop is excited to partner with such a forward-thinking publisher as Electronic Arts," DeMatteo said. "This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide."

THIS IS EFFING STUPID!!! Can you imagine if they did something like for online shooters?

That is correct, starting with Tiger Woods 11. If you buy it used, you cannot play it online unless you buy the OnlinePass for $10. They say there will be a free 7 day trial for each game, but that is stupid.

Same will go for future sports titles, like football, where you'll have to purchase the OnlinePass if you want to access basic multiplayer/team rosters/leagues/etc.

Can you imagine shooters? Buying a used copy of Battlefield, be able to play the singleplayer game no problem, but if you want to play online you have to shell out $10.

Lame .. yes .. but aren't there already a few subscription based games out there? Isn't WoW subscription based?.. I have no idea so I could be wrong. I still hardly play any games online and I don't play sports games at all, but it's an interesting move on their part. I'll enjoy watching where this goes.

I honestly have no issue with this. Gamestop has flooded the market with used games and the developers get nothing on the resale of these games. The only people that profit is Gamestop. This isn't a big deal for huge developers like EA, but smaller devs get screwed on the sales game front. If more companies would adopt a similar option, Gamestop's main source of income would dry up and maybe they would start practicing ETHICAL business practices. Say what you will, but this is honestly the right thing for devs and publishers to do, to curtail them getting screwed by the sale of their games as used.

Flame if you want, but it DOES make perfect sense in my mind..

Well, what about people who RENT games? We already pay almost $10 just to rent the game (usually 5-8 dollars for 5 days)?

That would suck. I rent a lot of games.

Honestly never thought about that side of the coin. I would hope EA has a deal with Gamefly or Blockbuster to do something, but that remains to be seen. There is no mention of rentals that I've seen thus far. <shrugs>

Thinking about it a little, Gamefly users will be the only ones effected. Blockbuster is 5 to 7 day rentals and you get a 7 day trial for the online stuff straight out of the box. Past that I have no clue.

Again, I think killing Gamestop's used business taking a hit is the positive in this new EA venture.

Eh, welcome to the way things are and will continue to be. PC gamers had to deal with the inevitable years ago. Mainly due to piracy but still, it's near impossible to resale a PC game now. Hell, half the multiplayer games cannot even be given to a friend when you're done. Since they have unique keys that are tied to your accounts. If they could find a way, discs would be locked to each persons account and the games would be only be playable on that account.

Still, as far as online games are concerned it's not that big of a deal. Mainly because by the time a game is cheap enough to justify buying it used then it's not long after that the game isn't expensive new. I mean come on.. Gamestop sells a new game for 59.99 and a used one for 54.99?! WHAT SAVINGS! Most of the time I only buy used when it's hard or impossible to find new anymore. And then that can be a pain to find a game with the manual box intact. I still can't believe they sale game without the case or manual for the same used price.

I guess I've just gotten used to it because of Steam. I have literally 100s of games on Steam, some that I haven't ever installed and played. However, I can never give those to anyone without giving them my entire account, and even that is not technically permitted in the terms of use.

Well Dat, I get used games from Gamestop for $41.25 if they are $55 and I use the CAG16 code + Edge Card combo, so there are some saving if you know how to do it.

I do think this is an absolutely horrible idea. It would make it impossible to borrow a siblings game to play online, which I often do. Let's hope it stays confined to sports games for a while, or at least confined to EA's games. I wouldn't even buy EA games anymore with the crap they're pulling if they didn't buy all my favorite companies like Bioware.

I think it's a GREAT idea to cut into Gamestops profits which EA does not see a penny of. I don't really consider this part of project $10 since it's included with the game, but only those who buy it new can access it.

If you think of Gamestop as the enemy, it all works out quite well.

I buy used games as much as the next guy but developers don't see my money when I do that.. thusly, I don't mind them finding ways around it. They made the game, they are within their rights to find ways to profit from it.

Lame .. yes .. but aren't there already a few subscription based games out there? Isn't WoW subscription based?.. I have no idea so I could be wrong. I still hardly play any games online and I don't play sports games at all, but it's an interesting move on their part. I'll enjoy watching where this goes.

True, but this would be charging you twice IMO. The reason I pay $50 a year roughly for XBL is to have an all inclusive opportunity to play all of my games online. With this service fee, why do I wanna pay for XBL and then some? Btw, can you play these games online without paying for XBL (just pay the $10)? I wouldn't imagine so.

I honestly have no issue with this. Gamestop has flooded the market with used games and the developers get nothing on the resale of these games. The only people that profit is Gamestop. This isn't a big deal for huge developers like EA, but smaller devs get screwed on the sales game front. If more companies would adopt a similar option, Gamestop's main source of income would dry up and maybe they would start practicing ETHICAL business practices. Say what you will, but this is honestly the right thing for devs and publishers to do, to curtail them getting screwed by the sale of their games as used.

Flame if you want, but it DOES make perfect sense in my mind..

All this is is EA showing how greedy they are and knowing that there are enough people out there who will go along with this because they HAVE to have the new Madden every year..

This defeats the entire purpose of paying for XBL. Sure, you can get DLC, gamer pics, vids, etc., but let's be honest folks, the main purpose of XBL is to PLAY games. I'll refuse to pay for any of these service fees.

Indeed. I will not be paying extra money to play EA Sport games online and I can't imagine many people I know will either. In fact, it'd be interesting to see how successful this is.

Indeed. I will not be paying extra money to play EA Sport games online and I can't imagine many people I know will either. In fact, it'd be interesting to see how successful this is.

Their are enough Madden buffs out there that will do this because they have to play the newest Madden online.

Their are enough Madden buffs out there that will do this because they have to play the newest Madden online.

They wouldn't be buying the game used, either. They'd have it day one and not have to worry about that extra $10.

Screw Gamestop. I'm glad they're getting kicked in the shins. May not be the way I would have preferred it, but it's still a shot.

Archived