Project Ten Dollar - EA has lost its mind

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to play online if you bought your game used?

• Sure, I don't mind. I saved some loot anyways by buying used
    • Heck no. This is a stupid idea
    • WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUU!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!??!!?!!!?!!!

I have a question. Is it only EA that is pulling these kinds of fast ones?

How is this a "fast one"? You buy the game new, you get to play online. You buy it used, it costs you $10 more than just the Gamestop cost. That's no "fast one" at all. As for paying for XBL, what the hell does that have to do with this exactly? Again, it's a risk you run if you buy used games. The option to buy new is there and is preferred by devs and publishers. If you prefer to buy used and play online, your cost just goes up by $10 in this case. Don't like it? Buy new or don't buy. Simple as that.

How is this a "fast one"? You buy the game new, you get to play online. You buy it used, it costs you $10 more than just the Gamestop cost. That's no "fast one" at all. As for paying for XBL, what the hell does that have to do with this exactly? Again, it's a risk you run if you buy used games. The option to buy new is there and is preferred by devs and publishers. If you prefer to buy used and play online, your cost just goes up by $10 in this case. Don't like it? Buy new or don't buy. Simple as that.

Whoa, it was only a question!

wow, not gonna lie this is pretty lame. now personally i never buy used games because i dont trust people to have taken good care of their discs so i always buy new. and i dont sell my games either because i bought it its mine :P but wow, really? this just eliminated renting games as well as lending them out to friends. after reading the replys here yall just seem to be gamestop bashing. just what i see here anyways

So EA is going to give us half a game for the same price we pay now, make us pay more for the rest and still manage to convince the average gamer they're getting more? Total BS.

Oh, and in a fit of rage, I thought I'd throw this out there. It was in a comment on a Kotaku article.

340x.png

So that's $76.50 NOT INCLUDING THE DAMN GAME! Yes, I know not everyone buys every single DLC but $140 odd for a game with everything is ridiculous. EA remind me of the government in the UK.

So EA is going to give us half a game for the same price we pay now, make us pay more for the rest and still manage to convince the average gamer they're getting more? Total BS.

It sounds like we are going in circles but I just don't see where they are giving half a game. If you buy it NEW you get the entire game for the same price. This is EA enacting a penalty for buying used games which they are entitled to do since they don't profit from used sales. Used sales actually hurt their business since those are potential customers.

I hate EA with the fiery passion of a thousand suns but this is just logical to me. The DLC model IS lame but I don't see this as part of the DLC model.

Oh, and in a fit of rage, I thought I'd throw this out there. It was in a comment on a Kotaku article.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2010/05/af57bbc9e0303544fb017895bd5854d5/340x.png

So that's $76.50 NOT INCLUDING THE DAMN GAME! Yes, I know not everyone buys every single DLC but $140 odd for a game with everything is ridiculous. EA remind me of the government in the UK.

I use EA all the time as DLC villains. Have to say, though, much of that DLC listed, you can unlock in the game. You can just buy that DLC to get it earlier than normal. It's actually beneficial for those that play over LIVE, who get matched up with others who already have it all unlocked.

Well, I buy used games because they are cheaper, and in most cases I buy games that are only like 10 to 15 dollars cheaper than the game new... So like this kinda defeats the purpose of buying a used game in some cases.

It's really no different than torrenting a game.

Really??? Car companys don't get additional payments for the sale of used vehicles, book publishers don't make additional profits from the sale of used books, record companies don't see any money from the sale of used cds. Why should gaming be any different? The fact is that the company already made a profit off of the initial sale of their product; after that the consumer should be able to do whatever they wish with whatever they purchased (use or sell/trade).

That is complete BS!!!!!!!!!! I have a limited budget, so I try to get the cheapest deal on games I can. If they start doing this, I'm just gonna have to pay more. This is effing retarded!

Edit: Whoa, deja vu. I really feel like I've seen this thread before. Haha. Just saying.

Why is EA suddenly trying to lose money now? If they add this feature to the need for speed series or any other good game... I am seriously going to go up there have everyone line up so "I" can slap the "You Know What" out of them... anyonewho wants to join in..... sign the list.

Why is EA suddenly trying to lose money now? If they add this feature to the need for speed series or any other good game... I am seriously going to go up there have everyone line up so "I" can slap the "You Know What" out of them... anyonewho wants to join in..... sign the list.

may need a bus for the amount of volunteers you will get. lol

Little late to the party, but bad internet causes a lack of visits, anyways. I don't really like it because of how it would affect my rental situation, however, I cannot blame them in any way shape or form. It's a business, and they are trying to find a way to get that cut that gamestop takes. They may change it, they may not. They are trying something to see if it fixes a problem. I don't think any of the publishers or devs like gamestop or other used retailers getting all that money in used sales and they don't see a dime. And they aren't the only ones, go rent ufc 2010 for a start, no online there without a new copy either. I don't mind the idea, but they should do it more like they did with skate 3. A small feature, in this case the ability to upload videos to their online community, along with skate parks and pictures. Not all online, but if you wanted to own the game you would like to have that specific feature, but for a rental, unless you reallly wanted all 1000 gamerscore you'd be just fine. I love it when people get at all mad for a business trying to make money. It's life. And they aren't screwing over the people that pay them in the first place at all. As for all the other dlc thing they have to unlock stuff, lame, but people buy it, once it worked once, they'll do it again. I just ignore, I can still unlock it all myself. If someone wants to pay to have all the cars at the start, well go them.

EA just likes to ruin things now.... they are adding something like this in their new PC MOR (Massive online racing game) Need For Speed World. Which was Free until now. Heres what they told all of the beat participants....

"We will be adding a new download along with the release of the full game called the "starter pack".

For $20 you can experience much more out of the game than you can with the Free status.

I really hope they don't start adding in awesome cars.. and make you have to go out to buy a prepaid card... because they also added a new currency along side the in-game cash (which taks forever to make $20,000) called speedboost.

Don't worry. you dont have to buy it, you just wont be able to progress past a certain lvl rank cap, and earn more reputation.." thats all i remember reading before i threw my wireless mouse across my room...(Don't worry.. the $5 wireless mouse still works) If you want to read about the $20 upgrade to a free game, or apply for the need for speed world beta... you can do so here: http://www.needforspeed.com/web/nfs-na/blogs/need-for-speed-news/-/nfsblogs/2426314

http://world.needforspeed.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived