Hawken Goes Free-to-Play - Launch Date Set

PeeKnuckle

• 9 months later...

So I downloaded Hawken with the code that Dat gave me (super thanks by the way!!!)

Played a bunch of matches for the few days they had open beta. Now bear in mind I've been playing Mechwarrior Online on and off for many, many months (even back all throughout closed beta as a "founder"). Couple thoughts.

- Gorgeous visuals. Definitely pushing the limits of my 460GTX, on maxed out settings on a lower res (like 1600x900). I mean super beautiful. It's fluid and sexy, particle effects are brilliant and I love the smoke/fire effects. This game has flashier graphics than MWO. I won't say "better", but I'll definitely say "flashier". It's way more urban and allows for more textural cities and such.

- Faster paced. A lot faster. I can't say much for all the mechs and stuff since I only played for a couple days, but it's faster. Not quite on the level of comparing Armored Core (Japanese bots on rocket rollerskates) to Chromehounds (huge western stompy mechs, slow moving but powerful), but it's noticeably different in playstyle.

Probably just me at the moment, and my history with the Battletech universe (RPGs, tabletop, etc), but I still prefer MWO. It's great that Hawken is also F2P and I will most likely check it out, but I think MWO resonates more with me and I prefer the slower, huge lumbering "western" mechs.

Archived