Sony Says They Are In No Rush To Reveal PS4

Gamercide

Hot on the heels of Microsoft swatting away rumors that the next Xbox was releasing later this year, Sony has announced that they are in no hurry to reveal anything having to do with the Playstation 4.

Sony France CEO Philippe Cardon, told french website Lepoint.fr that Sony will be the last to announce a new console.

“The Wii is under time pressure because it’s in decline.  As far as we’re concerned, we’re under a lot less pressure. We were the last to release the PS3. We will probably be the last to announce something.”

This announcement should come as no surprise considering that Sony was the last of three brands to release a next gen console during the bitter console war.

via IGN

View the full article

I agree we are good for a few more years with the current tech.. But Sony should have learned the consequences of releasing a new console after microsoft even though the 360 has a *** load of problems even a few years after launch, RROD anyone? I think my current 360 is lucky number 7 or 8, hooray for best buy replacement warranty!

I think Sony is trying to say by them being last to release a console is that their current console will outlast the others. Which like the PS2, I have no doubt that it will. I just think it's a bad move for them to be late to the party again especially if what people have been saying about the next Xbox specs turns out to be true. It's going to be a beast.

Sony Reports Massive Q3 Loss

Net loss of $2.03 billion.

Sony has posted a massive net loss of $2.03 billion (£1.28 billion) during its third financial quarter, October to December.

The figure is based on its total revenue of $23.37 billion (£14.7 billion), which is down 17.4% on the same period last year. This leaves Sony facing its fourth consecutive year of making a loss. The figures are even more troublesome when you realise that they contain sales from the normally lucrative Christmas period.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217809p1.html

///////////////////////////

“The Wii is under time pressure because it’s in decline. As far as we’re concerned, we’re under a lot less pressure. We were the last to release the PS3. We will probably be the last to announce something.”

I'm still not getting it. Maybe they know something I don't.

Sony's Credit and Debt Ratings Downgraded

And S&P doesn't see things getting any better.

S&P – which stands for Standard & Poor's – is a financial services firm best known for its S&P 500 stock index. However, it's also a credit agency, and is constantly analyzing the financial landscape of industries and companies around the world. They've lowered Sony's "long-term corporate credit and senior unsecured debt ratings" from A- to BBB+. "The outlook on the long-term corporate credit rating" of Sony "is negative," S&P concludes.

"We base the downgrade on our view that severe circumstances in Sony's mainstay electronics businesses make a strong recovery in earnings unlikely. We base the negative outlook on the long-term corporate credit rating on our expectation that we could lower the ratings further if we see no meaningful sign of recovery in Sony's earnings within six to 12 months," continues the S&P report.

S&P notes that Sony's television sector in particular hasn't made any money since March of 2005

The report makes no note of the PlayStation brand's specific effects on Sony's profits (or lack thereof).

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1218351p1.html

Speaking at the DICE summit in Las Vegas last night, the Unreal programming genius pointed to the abundance of choice consumers already have - tablets, PC, smartphones, Mac, consoles and handhelds - and predicted "winners and losers" depending on which platforms make the right choices.

"This is too many platforms," he said. "We're seeing now iPad sales have surpassed the sales of PCs. This is a real revelation, this is a product that wasn't invented until a few years ago and it's basically supplanting personal computers.

"Over time these platforms will be whittled down to a competing set of platforms to maybe three winners worldwide across everything - computers, game platforms, smartphones... We should expect a lot of consolidation here and winners and losers according to who picks the right directions and executes successfully."

Sweeney pointed to a number of emerging technologies as the next significant steps in computing, including Kinect-like motion control, cloud and augmented reality.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/335323/epic-there-are-too-many-platforms-some-will-lose/

Well according to the Sony fans, none of this means anything and long live the PS3! Idiots, all of them. Sony needs to introduce something new here soon. They waited to long with the PS3 which sucks because the advances that their console offered was to late for developers that took over a year to crack what that console can really do. They really need to think this one through. Forget the pissing contest of which console lasts longer. Protect your brand Sony!

Archived