Prometheus

PeeKnuckle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw Prometheus last night. The special effects, costumes and art work is 2nd to none. That being said I thought the script was poorly thrown together, Charlize Theron's character added no value and overall I think the movie was WAY too ambitious, trying to delve into very big theological discussions and revealing very few answers. Also, I wish there was slightly more blood/gore/alien stuff and I feel like the movie was very anti-climactic at times. This being all said, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie. Despite all it's flaws that kept my friends and I talking on the way home, it was beyond refreshing watching a gloomy gritty sci-fi flick that was ambitious and didn't play into the stereotypical sci-fi genre.

7/10

From Twitter, I've learned that the first half of this film is amazing, and the second half (especially last half hour) is a big letdown.

The most harshest of critics still enjoyed the film, but had wished the second half was worked on more. They likened it to two different writers writing both halves of the movie. It was that distinct of a change.

From Twitter, I've learned that the first half of this film is amazing, and the second half (especially last half hour) is a big letdown.

I have to agree with this, and partially CB as well.

Saw the movie over the weekend with my pops. We went to the 3D showing (he's never been to a 3D movie before lol). The movie was fantastic I thought, but we both agreed it seemed to lack something neither of us could quite put our finger on since we were so caught up in all the other awesomeness.

The android was definitely my favorite character though. Fassbender was perfect.

(Kind of sad that Madagascar 3 outgrossed Prometheus over the weekend, but I have to admit I love the penguins in that series hahaha)

I saw it yesterday and liked it. I agree about Fassbender doing a good acting job, but I also liked Noomi Rapace. She was the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo afterall, so she's kind of badass. I didn't find it lacking. It depends on your expectations of what you think the movie will be, especially if you're expecting action like Aliens. It was more of a sci-fi mystery sort of deal.

There are a couple of things I'd like to discuss that would be spoilers, so spoiler tags start here, unless we deem another thread necessary.

What was up with the alien in the beginning? Even though at the moment no one would have known what it was, it's crazy that they fully showed the aliens in the beginning of the movie. Anyone else think he was seeding that planet (ancient Earth, maybe) with his DNA when he dissolved and it got into the water?

Also with the little alien creature born right at the end that looked a lot like a xenomorph, could it have been a pre-xenomorph before a bit of evolution? I know the xenos take on the form of the host, so maybe it's just how they look after birthing from a Prometheus alien. Though all the goo, snake worm things, and giant cthulid tentacle monsters are quite different than the ol' face huggers.

My theory is that the Prometheus aliens actually bioengineered the xenomorphs, it's hinted at (you see a xeno-like statue in the goo jar chamber). In the first Alien movie the hold of the ship they find is full of eggs, maybe they weren't found but actually bred and engineered. The Prometheans are crazy then, they create humans capable of creating, but also xenos (or pre-xenos), vicious tough as hell killing machines that only really destroy. Creating on a whim just because they can, just like humans (as it's suggested with why androids were made, though we also make so many killing tools).

That's why I liked the movie, it's really quite thought-provocative, and deep if you think into it.

1) Alien at the beginning of the movie? Well he was definitely an "Engineer" (as they called the aliens), It looked like he was sent down and had some sort of ceremonial (?) sphere thingy that contained that black goo stuff. Engineer eats black goo, gets withered from within, falls into waterfall and dissolves while we watch a scene specifically showing DNA, space ship that dropped him off leaves.

This leaves a lot of questions. What was the purpose of this scene? The abandoned and robed Engineer disrobes and consumes the black substance. The resulting reaction, well, does not exactly look pleasant. It could be wagered that this scene is depicting some sort of punishment possibly for the robed figure.

So is the substance that was consumed possibly a form of a death sentence for this figure? Was his DNA spread throughout the waters maybe unintentionally?

I have to go to golf league and will post more on this later.

Are you two talking about the Space Jockey? That was one of the points many bring up on Twitter. Many felt it's role didn't need explanation. There were also some conflicts with people dying from it, when it should have already been dead, due to an alien bursting through it's chest. Some say there had to be others on board, in cryo, etc.

No, I wasn't talking about the Space Jockey I don't think. SJ is the dude on that navigation ***** looking thingy, right?

We're talking about the VERY beginning of the movie, where it shows that one lone Engineer guy at the top of a waterfall on some planet. He eats that black goo, dies a horrible death as he's falling over the waterfall and into the river, dissolves and it shows his DNA breaking apart (and presumably spreading through the river).

And sorry I forgot to finish my post when I got home yesterday. I was drunk and playing with my new console lol.

So back to my original point. It seemed the ingestion of that black goo by the Engineer at the beginning of the movie was either some sort of ceremony or some sort of punishment/death sentence.

Regardless it would seem that the creation of mankind was quite possibly an accident of some sort. A creation of new life that was built and based on their own DNA structure and it seemed that they weren't too happy about that.

Ahhhhh! I stand corrected. I just remember before the movie coming out they talked specifically about a Space Jockey and always showed pictures of that one they found in the first Alien movie that was all dead and fused to the navigation thing. I just thought they were called Engineers or some crap.

That was one of the gripes with some people. In interviews, it seems the director, writers and even actors, didn't want to explain much about the engineer/jockey/whatever. It was even said "It doesn't really matter what or who they were.". So, either they left it to our imaginations, or they didn't want to elaborate further (sequel?).

This is exactly what I loved about this movie. It was true Sci fi that left a lot to be wondered and discussed.

So many possibilities. Who's to say te first guy wasn't a cultist or separate faction that went around creating life. The other guys could be at war with them and going around stamping out the life created and the rebels.

Perhaps even the rebels caused the disruption on the planet with the aliens.

OR

The first was 45000 years or more prior so they could have had worse technology. Attempted to create a bio weapon but it took many years to mature and turned out to be us. And we turned out too smart to just control. So, then they decided to attempt a new bio weapon and created the goo that makes aliens. Before they could deploy it to fix their first mistake it got loose and destroyed them.

As the AI said, how would you feel if you finally had a chance to ask your "God/Creator" why he created you and he simply said because I could?

Fantastic movie.

Archived