Prometheus

PeeKnuckle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it this evening and honestly, I really don't know how to feel about this film. It was a good enough movie on its own merit, but as a movie that clearly was meant to originally be an Alien origin story, it fell kind of flat. Weyland's commitment and motivations made very little sense, David's desire to feel like a human was severely undercut by his complete lack of humanity and character relationships were just kind of under developed. Charlize Theron while nice to look at, was completely unnecessary and never really served to progress the story foward in any meaningful way. One of my, if not my biggest complaint, was the ham handed way they handled what were supposed to be big reveals and how easy they were to spot from the not so subtle dialog cues. In the end, it just felt like the beginning and end were two totally different movies, that set out to do two very different things.

Visually, the movie was fantastic. It had that same Giger inspired atmosphere and art style, that I really dug in the first two Alien(s) films. The score did a great job of setting the tune and the acting was decent. They also did a great job of setting themselves up for a sequel. Its definitely worth checking out, just be weary if you're a big fan of the Alien franchise and try to take it for what it's worth.

Archived