(GCC) Greatest story ever told

Towncryer

I want to hear your vote for the greatest story ever told in a game. Please use examples and your reason for your choice. Maybe we can vote afterwords and proclaim the winner in a Gamercide article and post it on Gamercide.org?? I think we need stronger story lines and more character development in the games we play. The more invested I am in my character the more I'm impacted by the game play.

I'll give my vote after a few posts. I want to think about this a little bit. I have a few in mind and have to narrow it down.

So what say you GC?

Morrowind has my vote. Not only was the storytelling good and the main enemy scarier than sh*t, but the hero's role (you), was equally good. Becoming "Nerevarine" (hero) is no simple task. You must unravel the mystery of Red Mountain, Dagoth Ur, The Sixth House Cult and various other bad crap such as Corprus Disease. Those parts are the easiest. You must also unite the Great Houses (three very different and distinct houses) and the Ashlander Tribes into confronting this new, great evil destroying your country.

Actually completing all of that instead of just beating the game was what made Morrowind awesome for me. The lore, the evil vibe and complexities of race/species relations really made it a game among games. A real standout.

I didn't do the Nerevarine any justice, so if anyone's interested in learning more... here's a link http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Nerevarine

I'd say Baldur's Gate 2, but if I think about it there are probably a few other good games I could vote for. The thing that made Baldur's Gate 2 so great was, well everything. Not only was the story very good with tons of lore, dialog, sidestories, branching arcs and subarcs, but the atmosphere of it was excellent as well. The hand drawn and rendered isometric backgrounds were beautiful, and there was just so much to the world, even when it was just a series of contiguous "areas".

The followers you get have a great amount of depth and you actually start to care for them and their motivatoins way beyond one of them being just "the guy who's good with big swords I use to tank for me since I'm a mage". Excellent writing, lots of lore, and overall a very deep experience. I hear Planescape: Torment is another great D&D RPG with even better story, so I got that and will eventually try it out as well.

I've been sitting here for a few hours trying to think of the best storyline I've ever played through and I'm having trouble deciding which is the ultimate... I'm fairly certain that there is no correct answer here. So I'm going to tell you all a little story about the Fable series.

My wife HATES video games. HATES THEM. Passionately, violently, whole-heartedly. This is my fault, as I used to ignore her during the blossoming of our relationship while I spent hours on end smoking illegal substances and trying to get 100% completion in GTA3. This type of behavior continued over the years, over several other games, to the point where she actually gave me an ultimatum and I ended up selling my first Xbox 360 to save my marriage and family...

While I could no longer play games at this juncture of my life, I still had the passion and would track news from the gaming world through various websites, watching commentaries via YouTube, etc. One day, while watching TV, the ad for Fable 3 came on and my wife actually said, "Wow, that game is like a Choose Your Own Adventure book!", or something of the sort. BOOOOOM! My ticket back had finally arrived. After casually showing her other trailers and some gameplay, I convinced her to let me buy another 360 and bought all 3 Fable games. She actually watched me play them and make decisions in game, too.

I love the Fable series. The games are not particularly long or difficult, but the freedom (and personal sentiment) that they provided are priceless to me. The fantasy element coupled with the ability to create/direct the flow of the game based on your actions made the series stand out for me.

It's kind of cheating I choose an adventure game, but one of my favorites story wise had to be Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

It was just a really great story that sucked you in and if you've played it you know it ends leaving you wanting more. More that has yet to and probably will never come.

In all my time in gaming I have never been engrossed in a character as I have in this one. There were times I would play this game again and again just to be immersed in it's universe once more. After all the Zombies and Aliens and Nazis and whatever you'd call the enemies in Zelda I've snuck by or ruthlessly cut down with Chainsaws or machetes or just you average everyday BFG; I always come back to Max. My pick for gaming's greatest story ever told-

Max Payne 1.

So visceral. So gritty. So real. So tragic. If you remember the story was laid in between levels by an art direction rarely seen in a game before. Comic book style panels and voice over work that stood out as real and griping. I wanted to keep Max alive and I wanted revenge! I wanted to win for him and me. I really wanted it. When was the last time that happened for you while playing COD or Halo even? I know that others will disagree, probably most will. Max Payne gets my vote for sucking me in and never letting go.

i'm throwing heavenly sword into the mix. while you can't pack as much into an 8 hr action game as you can a 40 plus hr rpg, they certainly made the most of their time. they really put effort into making you care about the characters, not just putting vanilla folks into an action scenario. the emotion of the characters was tangible in the cut scenes. the enemies weren't just bad or ugly....they were evil, creepy, and you wanted them dead. i found myself rushing through areas, swishing my weapon at folks who got too close and running to the next battle....because i was angry. i wanted someone dead. never before have i felt that in a game.

and i may or may not have teared up at the end...

Archived