Xbox 360 Winter Dashboard Update Delayed, Changes That Will Be Coming In The Next Few Months

Gamercide

The winter 2011 dashboard update has been slightly delayed according to Major Nelson in a tweet over Twitter. No word as to why, but Major Nelson said he will provide a “status update” later today.

When the update does roll out, gamers will take notice to the sleek and organized physical overhaul of the dashboard, but also the lack of some apps. Major Nelson has released the dates of when those missing apps will start flooding the app marketplace globally.

“Dec. 6:

• EPIX. United States

• ESPN on Xbox LIVE (ESPN). United States

• Hulu. Japan

• Hulu Plus. United States

• LOVEFiLM. United Kingdom

• Netflix. Canada, United States

• Premium Play by (MediaSet). Italy

• Sky Go (SkyDE). Germany

• Telefónica España – Movistar Imagenio. Spain

• TODAY (MSNBC). United States

Later in December:

• 4 on Demand (C4). United Kingdom

• ABC iView (Australian Broadcasting Corp.). Australia

• AlloCiné. France (AlloCiné), Germany (Filmstarts), Spain (Sensacine), United Kingdom (Screenrush)

• Astral Media’s Disney XD (Astral Media). Canada

• blinkbox (Blinkbox). United Kingdom

• Crackle (Sony Pictures). Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, United States

• Dailymotion. Available in 32 countries globally

• Demand 5 (Five). United Kingdom

• DIGI+ (CANAL+). Spain

• GolTV (Mediapro). Spain

• iHeartRadio (Clear Channel). United States

• Mediathek/ZDF (ZDF). Germany

• MSN. Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, United Kingdom

• MSNBC.com. United States

• MUZU.TV. Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

• ninemsn. Australia

• Real Sports (Maple Leaf Sports). Canada

• Rogers On Demand Online (Rogers Media). Canada

• SBS ON DEMAND. Australia

• TMZ (Warner Bros.). Canada, United States

• TVE (RTVE.es). Spain

• UFC on Xbox LIVE (UFC). Canada, United States

• Verizon FiOS TV. United States

• VEVO. Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States

• Vudu (Wal-Mart). United States

• YouTube. Available in 24 countries globally

Early 2012:

• Antena 3 (Antena 3 de Televisión). Spain

• BBC (BBC). United Kingdom

• CinemaNow (Best Buy). United States

• HBO GO (HBO). United States

• MLB.TV (MLB Advanced Media). Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States

• Telenovelas/Sports (Televisa). Brazil, Chile, Colombia, France, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom

• Xfinity On Demand (Comcast). United States"

Not sure how you all feel about this lineup, but if the pricing is anything like Verizon’s 26 channel service on the 360, I think I’ll pass on the pay to watch apps.

via Major Nelson

View the full article

It's not so bad. It looks good and I like the new Netflix app. I will always miss my "blades dashboard" for the simplicity and teh quickness though.

I also am going to try to find a way to turn off the Beacon notifications. I imagine that getting obnoxious pretty quickly.

Also, TOO MANY ADS. /facepalm

Oh wow. Lame.

No kidding. I didn't even know that. My brother and I used to use the Netflix party. :(

I imagine that you can still start a regular "party" and both navigate to Netflix and the movie and do a countdown to start but still that's pretty stupid.

Also, TOO MANY ADS. /facepalm

Although I don't see where the ads are that big a deal here is a solution. Haven't tried it but figured some of you might want to (I take no responsibility if this breaks something :lol:):

• Add a network for your current IP address.
  • Go to Advanced Settings and next to 'Domain Typos', check the box 'Enable typo correction' if it's not already checked and apply.
  • Got to Web Content Filtering settings and set the filtering level to 'None', and under 'Manage individual domains', put rad.msn.com and select 'Always block' and then click 'Add domain'. Screenshot.
  • On your Xbox, go to System Settings -> Network Settings -> (your connection) -> Configure Network -> DNS settings -> Manual, and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
  • You may need to clear your hard drive cache before ads disappear entirely: System Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive -> press Y -> Clear System Cache (note that you'll have to re-download any title updates for any games you play after doing this).
  • No longer pay to be advertised to.

You may also wish to configure your router to use OpenDNS' DNS servers via a static DNS setting, instead of setting it up on your Xbox. Doing so will block the ads for any device that connects to your network - so you don't have to configure them one-by-one.

One other note: If your IP address changes, you will need to update your OpenDNS network to match. If that happens frequently, you probably want the OpenDNS updater.

Alternatively, your may find it easier to configure your router to block the domain by using its site blocking or website filtering options. It has been reported to work for DD-WRT and Netgear routers, but not Linksys and possibly others, so your results may vary. To test if it will be blocked successfully, try to load https://rad.msn.com/. If the page fails to load, gives you a 404 error, or you get a security error (like this), then it's blocked. If you get this 403 error, it's not blocked.

Source: http://www.reddit.co..._dashboard_ads/

Or you can go to PK's thread here: http://gamercide.org/forum/topic/5220-hating-all-the-new-ads-on-the-latest-dash-update/page__p__49867#entry49867

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Rogers Cable, the Canadian version of Comcast, has an app called "Rogers On Demand" which is Netflix-esque, but so far the Xbox Live app is crappy. Bunch of movies and TV shows I haven't ever heard of, plus you have to have subscriptions to particular channels in order to watch most of the good stuff.

@Spawn Youtube kinda sucks. No access to subscription activity (yet).

Archived