Valve Teaching Kids to Enjoy Physics Through ‘Learn With Portals’

Gamercide

df50c63b-ae29-41b2-b21b-254cdb899005.jpg

Valve has always been known for its games’ interesting premises, deep character development, and fun physics puzzles. Now, the developer is hoping to combine a love for learning math and physics, with interactive videogames. The videogame ‘Portal’ is no longer for just gamers; with the help of Valve’s new ‘Learn With Portals’ program, it will be given to and used by students as well. For us gamers, the best part of the deal is that Portal is and will remain free until September 20th through Steam. So if you still haven’t gotten your hands on the incredibly fun and ingenious game, now’s the best time to do so.

You can find the link to the ‘Learn With Portals’ page here, which will direct you to a brief summary of the program’s mission statement, and a promotional video of a 7th-grade field-trip to Valve’s studio (*accompanied by flight-attendant-like hand motions* the video is also provided for your convenience below). Best of all, there’s also a link where you can get Portal for free.

It really is too bad: all I got to play in school was Oregon Trail. But on a more serious note, this whole program shows that games have immense educational potential if handled by a big-name developer that knows what they’re doing. So, I give Valve +1 Cru Hunter point, and my stamp of approval.

For those who don’t know much about the 2007 game, here’s a description of the game from the game’s page on Steam:

Portal™ is a new single player game from Valve. Set in the mysterious  Aperture Science Laboratories, Portal has been called one of the most  innovative new games on the horizon and will offer gamers hours of  unique gameplay.

via GIO and IGN

View the full article

Archived