Bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Were Outsourced to GRIP Entertainment

Gamercide

Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Boss-Battles-57Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a highly praised game by both reviewers and gamers alike. Ask about the game and they will respond with stories about great combat experiences or the deep morals that tag along with a stellar plot. Ask these people about Deus Ex: HR’s boss battles, however, and you’ll get different reactions entirely, ranging from disgust to stories of how boring the fights were. Outside of the boss encounters, the game shines brightly, so it should come as no surprise that many have wondered how Eidos could go so wrong with one specific part of the game.

As it turns out, Eidos didn’t go wrong with these bosses at all, as they didn’t even make the sequences; they gave the job of making boss battles to a group called GRIP Entertainment, an independent developer also established in Montreal. The president, Dr. Paul A. Kruszewski, released a video (which you can watch below) describing how his company came to take on the project Eidos gave them, what the process was to making these notorious sequences, and what their past experiences were with gaming and video game technology.

I decided to venture over to GRIP’s website  just to understand a bit more about the company. After reading a bit  into Dr. Paul A. Kruszewski from the group’s site, he’s received an  apparently prestigious scholarship from the NSERC, and is ‘respected around the world as [a] visionary in artificial intelligence and real-time computing’. So, knowing that, I guess the question is how he could have gone wrong about the process.

via GIO and N4G

View the full article

People kind of freaked out on these encounters, but they weren't a big deal to me. It was mostly the people who geared up to be a stealthy/hacker type and felt they couldn't go toe to toe with the bosses. They were mostly wrong. They could. The first two bosses had things in the environment to help you out. You just need to pay attention to your surroundings, or

even listen to an AI construct.

I enjoyed reading the tweets of game developers, frustrated and complaining on Twitter simply because they didn't pay attention. "My guy's a pacifist hacker stealth spy!". Good for you. Take a step back now, analyze the situation and figure it out. It's all there in front of you.

By the way; the developers I saw who got stuck on the bosses... Both got help from Twitter and passed their bosses. Videogame developers.

Do the boss battles seem out of place? Most definitely! Did they bother me? A tiny bit at first, but then I figured out the first two. Still have one more at least, if my assumption is correct. They're the same characters from the Deus Ex novel, Icarus Effect. I'll probably die a few times figuring it out, but I will prevail.

I thought the boss battles were insanely easy.

Honestly the first one you shoot a canister once and he is dead, second one I just used typhoon twice and she died, the third one I used 2 grenades and he died, and the last one I just hacked everything and it seemed like everything was destroying itself, I don't even remember doing anything, I just ran around hacked everything I heard robots exploding then I killed some chick in glass. They were very awkward.

Archived