The next time someone says "alot", this is what I will think of.

Kevnvek

From http://hyperboleanda...everything.html

The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

As a grammatically conscientious person who frequents internet forums and YouTube, I have found it necessary

to develop a few coping mechanisms. When someone types out "u" instead of "you," instead of getting mad, I

imagine them having only one finger on each hand and then their actions seem reasonable. If I only had one finger

on each hand, I'd leave out unnecessary letters too!

ALOT10.png

If I come across a person who seems to completely ignore the existence of apostrophes and capital letters and

types things like "im an eagle and im typing with my talons, so dont make fun of me cuz this is hard," I like to

imagine that they actually are an eagle typing with their talons. It would be a hassle if you had to hop in the air

and use your feet to karate-chop two keys simultaneously every time you wanted to use the shift key to make

a capital letter. Also, eagles lack manual dexterity, so I can understand why they'd want to leave out apostrophes.

Eagles are all about efficiency.

ALOT11.png

But there is one grammatical mistake that I particularly enjoy encountering. It has become almost fun for me to

come across people who take the phrase "a lot" and condense it down into one word, because when someone says

"alot," this is what I imagine:

ALOT.png

The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's

grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment

for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world.

For example, when I read the sentence "I care about this alot," this is what I imagine:

ALOT2.png

Similarly, when someone says "alot of _______", I picture an Alot made out of whatever they are talking about.

ALOT3.png

ALOT9.png

ALOT8.png

ALOT13.png

If someone says something like "I feel lonely alot" or "I'm angry alot," I'm going to imagine them standing there

with an emo haircut, sharing their feelings with an Alot.

ALOT4.png

The Alot is incredibly versatile.

ALOT5.png

ALOT14.png

ALOT6.png

ALOT12.png

So the next time you are reading along and you see some guy ranting about how he is "alot better at swimming

than Michael Phelps," instead of getting angry, you can be like "You're right! Alots are known for their superior

swimming capabilities."

ALOT15.png

But it doesn't mean a large quantity of something. In the definitions that do mean that, a space is used. :P

Which is why I also provided that second link. Both forms are acceptable. All right & Alright. A lot & Alot.

Only pedantic people bother themselves with proving one is more right than the other. =p

Which is why I also provided that second link. Both forms are acceptable. All right & Alright. A lot & Alot.

Only pedantic people bother themselves with proving one is more right than the other. =p

It shows that "alot" is a word, but it doesn't mean the same thing as "a lot." Alot is a synonym of "lot" like a parcel of land according to the dictionary entry linked. Alright is the same as "all right" though. Awhile and "a while" are also both correct. Normally alright and awhile are seen as preferable though.

Someone writing alot doesn't bug me in the least, though. Considering the atrocious spelling of so many, you have to grow a thicker skin. I'd love to send this guy some jailhouse letters. My gawd...

I type "alright" alot.

Well "alright", "altogether", "almighty" and words like that are acceptable, but you don't say "alot" because you wouldn't say "abunch" would you (kind of like what JB said with alittle)? ;)

Regardless, I think the Alot is awesome. Chris is going to be the start of the trend with his awesome Pandalot. We'll all be making our own custom Alots as if the were My Little Ponies. XD

Archived