Halo 4 Hits A Snag – Creative Director Leaves

Gamercide

Halo4masterchief_cortana.jpg

Master Chief’s big return to your living room has hit a minor snag.  The creative director behind Halo 4 has announced that he has left the buidling.

Ryan Payton made the shocking announcement and broke news that he formed his own studio, Camouflaj.  People were wondering why he would leave Microsoft and 343 Industries when he was working on one of the series that made the Xbox what it is today.

“Some people say I’m crazy, but I want to make a game that one billion people play at once, and it’s something that hits them harder than a great book or film.”  Payton furthered added that the Halo 4 he envisioned was not what Microsoft wanted.  “The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don’t think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through.”

via Joystiq

View the full article

One billion people? Whoa. That's a lofty ambition.

So let's see. He was assistant producer at Kojima Productions. That means he has worked on exclusives before. That will never get you 1 billion players at once. Halo 4 wouldn't have, either.

When I read that he formed his own studio, I immediately wondered who approached him. I found this, "After seeing friend and Haunted Temple Studios creative lead Jake Kazdal laboring on his own project, Skulls of the Shogun, Payton decided it was time for a change.". Kazdal has lived and worked in Japan for a number of years, with different studios. I'm betting these two Americans living in Japan became quick friends. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it seems Payton only came back to America because his mother was sick with cancer. I think he wants to go back and this is a way for him to do that. I hope he does well.

Archived