Gaming Headset recommendations

Kevnvek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hows the mic and in game chat? I didnt care for the mic on the AX360.

Well the mic seems to work pretty well. I haven't really played many games with chatting yet, but I'll be able to test them out when I join PK in RDR. I did some tests, recording a message, and it seems to be able to pick up my voice better than the standard mic, even if I do a full whisper it picks it up from a little over an inch away from my face. The voices sound pretty good, too from the little bits I heard in random L4D2 matches and Battlefield BC2, but I can understand how PK sometimes has trouble hearing over the epic explosion and gunfire sounds. lol

One bad thing about the mic though is the constant low hiss (it's louder based on how high you have the mic volume set), but it's usually not at all noticable unless it's completely silent (which isn't too often when you can hear pretty much everything).

So far it seems like they are great headphones with a couple minor flaws, slight mic hiss and tinny voices in RPGs (demanding that you adjust the in game and headset volumes until they sound natural). What's weird is that the yelling and orders being shouted out in BFBC2 were natural sounding.

Yes, but there is no single, stereo, 3.5mm headphone plug, just the four green, black, red, and pink 3.5 mm analog plugs, and just plugging one of them into my laptop doesn't sound as good as my regular headphones. I would need either optical or 5.1 analog jacks for it to work right. I tested between the old headphones and trittons on a bassy song (Hybrid - Finished Symphony) and the old ones came out clearer.

Basically all of the cables that it came with are; optical, 5.1 analog (the four colored ones I mentioned), the 9 pin plug to plug the headphones into the little box, a USB mic plug, the power cord, and a plug for the Xbox 360 mic.

Well, you should be using the front jack input for stereo. That should be the green one, and the computer needs to stay setup for 2 channel stereo. However, if you're using the headphones from the computer mainly for audio then I'm not surprised that the other set is better. The Trittons are not meant for music listening and not really designed for stereo input. The inclusion of actual speakers for each channel = smaller individual speakers in the headset. Probably not worth the hassel of plugging and unplugging anyhow. I had read they were going away from the dual plug, and I'm glad you got the new revision that doesn't have it. That makes that headset pretty much #1 as far as I'm concerned.

BTW. If you want to use them with the Wii you need this ( You could also use it for you computer):

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Console-Adapter-Convert-Single-Pc/dp/B0006U3ACY/ref=pd_cp_e_2

That will take a stereo input and split it into all of the channels in the headset. The sound will not be surround, but will be stereo output through all the channels. Thus utilizing all the speakers in the headset. The other options is this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Female-3-5mm-Mono-Adapter/dp/B000I98ZM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276263956&sr=1-1

Which would take the stereo channel into the front ( green ) speakers only. For that headset it would probably be best to go with the first choice so you get the full output of the headset.

BTW. If you want to use them with the Wii you need this ( You could also use it for you computer):

http://www.amazon.co...Y/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Thank you, I was looking for something like that. Now, is there one that takes the analog 5.1 inputs and converts them into one single 3.5mm plug for the computer? Mine doesn't have the red/white audio out plugs. I'd need another converter, 3.5mm to red/white for that. lol

So yeah, these things are pretty sweet, but I'm kind of having issues with the audio quality in some games. Some games like BFBC2 and Red Dead sound amazing, but other games almost sound a bit messy. Dat, do you have any suggestions on how to configure them to work well with games that they don't sound as well in?

I guess it just depends on how the game was made, like FPS and Free Roam games are more designed for 5.1.

Also, I've tried plugging the green jack (front) into my laptop, and it comes out with very little bass, that's why I was using the center/sub (red) plug. Now if I had a proper adapter that converts all of the channels into one 3.5mm input, including the front and the bass ones, then it would probably sound good.

Thank you, I was looking for something like that. Now, is there one that takes the analog 5.1 inputs and converts them into one single 3.5mm plug for the computer? Mine doesn't have the red/white audio out plugs. I'd need another converter, 3.5mm to red/white for that. lol

So yeah, these things are pretty sweet, but I'm kind of having issues with the audio quality in some games. Some games like BFBC2 and Red Dead sound amazing, but other games almost sound a bit messy. Dat, do you have any suggestions on how to configure them to work well with games that they don't sound as well in?

I guess it just depends on how the game was made, like FPS and Free Roam games are more designed for 5.1.

Also, I've tried plugging the green jack (front) into my laptop, and it comes out with very little bass, that's why I was using the center/sub (red) plug. Now if I had a proper adapter that converts all of the channels into one 3.5mm input, including the front and the bass ones, then it would probably sound good.

You could use the same adapter that I linked for the Wii for the PC. You would just need this as well:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Male-RCA-Cable/dp/B0002KR1OG

Wouldn't have to be 5ft, but you'd plug that cable into the PC, then the two RCA ends to the adapter listed above. Then Plug your headset into the adapter. It would have the same effect as the Wii. It would take stereo and just play it through all the speakers.

As for the bad sound, well. It depends what you mean. Since it's a digital connection there really isn't anything you could do. If the games don't really need surround you could change the output on the xbox to 2 channel when you are playing those games. Otherwise you might just need to mess with the volume controls.

You could use the same adapter that I linked for the Wii for the PC. You would just need this as well:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0002KR1OG

Yeah, too much work/too many wires when I already have a nice pair of headphones that work fine on the computer.

It does sound better in Digital Stereo, but then I lose the surround lol. It's mostly RPGs like Lost Odyssey that have the problem. RPGs like that don't really need surround sound, especially with the fixed camera in battles. But also, when I play Geometry Wars, the bass in the music sounds off when I have it on surround, but good when it's stereo.

Also, which option should I choose in the 360 Console Settings > Audio > Digital Output? Dolby Digital 5.1, or Dolby Digital with WMA?

Yeah, too much work/too many wires when I already have a nice pair of headphones that work fine on the computer.

It does sound better in Digital Stereo, but then I lose the surround lol. It's mostly RPGs like Lost Odyssey that have the problem. RPGs like that don't really need surround sound, especially with the fixed camera in battles. But also, when I play Geometry Wars, the bass in the music sounds off when I have it on surround, but good when it's stereo.

Also, which option should I choose in the 360 Console Settings > Audio > Digital Output? Dolby Digital 5.1, or Dolby Digital with WMA?

Yeah, I understand that it's definitely not worth the trouble to use them on the PC. You should be using just Dolby Digital 5.1 . That will be the most compatible. The headset may work with WMA, but I don't think any of the games use that anyhow.

As far as the sound being off, well. I would be willing to bet it's just you not being use to using the headset. I'm not sure what you're use to, but they are going to sound different then surround speakers, and certainly much different then a stereo headset. Surround sound isn't perfect when trying to be produced in a headset. The speakers are just too damn close together. From the sound of it though, most of the problem is from the games. They probably have surround, but weren't really designed for it. ie. Simple background noise for the surround instead of actual directional audio. I would say the best test would be to pop in a DVD. If it sounds good through the cans then you'll just have to concede that some games just don't like them.

Yeah, I understand that it's definitely not worth the trouble to use them on the PC. You should be using just Dolby Digital 5.1 . That will be the most compatible. The headset may work with WMA, but I don't think any of the games use that anyhow.

As far as the sound being off, well. I would be willing to bet it's just you not being use to using the headset. I'm not sure what you're use to, but they are going to sound different then surround speakers, and certainly much different then a stereo headset. Surround sound isn't perfect when trying to be produced in a headset. The speakers are just too damn close together. From the sound of it though, most of the problem is from the games. They probably have surround, but weren't really designed for it. ie. Simple background noise for the surround instead of actual directional audio. I would say the best test would be to pop in a DVD. If it sounds good through the cans then you'll just have to concede that some games just don't like them.

Well I think I've started to work out the issues and am getting these things working pretty well. If a game starts getting that 'tinny' sound (like I was saying happened with the voices in RPGs), it seems to get fixed when I turn the decoder box off then on again. I also found that I should set the time delays for both center and surround to 0 so I don't get a weird echoing quality to sounds coming from diagonal directions. Only thing I'm not sure about now is whether or not I should have Dynamic Range Compression on.

Also, I found that Geometry Wars apparently doesn't support 5.1, which explains the off sounding bass in it. The GW2 demo sounded great in 5.1, though. I can definitely tell that some games really do have much better sound quality than others with these things. BFBC2 sounds amazing.

That is probably what it is, I'm just not used to them. I'm pretty used to the cleanness and simplicity of stereo headphones. And I just have to remember to set the Xbox's digital output to stereo whenever I play something that doesn't support 5.1 or is only in 2 channels (like most anime and videos from my hard drive) I'll have to watch a movie to test them out some more (do I sense another Matrix trilogy rewatch coming on? lol)

Thanks for answering my loquacious questions, Dat. LOL

Well I think I've started to work out the issues and am getting these things working pretty well. If a game starts getting that 'tinny' sound (like I was saying happened with the voices in RPGs), it seems to get fixed when I turn the decoder box off then on again. I also found that I should set the time delays for both center and surround to 0 so I don't get a weird echoing quality to sounds coming from diagonal directions. Only thing I'm not sure about now is whether or not I should have Dynamic Range Compression on.

Also, I found that Geometry Wars apparently doesn't support 5.1, which explains the off sounding bass in it. The GW2 demo sounded great in 5.1, though. I can definitely tell that some games really do have much better sound quality than others with these things. BFBC2 sounds amazing.

That is probably what it is, I'm just not used to them. I'm pretty used to the cleanness and simplicity of stereo headphones. And I just have to remember to set the Xbox's digital output to stereo whenever I play something that doesn't support 5.1 or is only in 2 channels (like most anime and videos from my hard drive) I'll have to watch a movie to test them out some more (do I sense another Matrix trilogy rewatch coming on? lol)

Thanks for answering my loquacious questions, Dat. LOL

lol, no problem. I've noticed the 2 channel problem for a long time with the XBOX. Even using my surround speakers from my receiver if the XBOX is set to 5.1 when listening to music it messes it all up. I have to set it to stereo so the receiver produces bass and everything correctly.

Archived