Million Dollar Question

green grenades

I googled this question and couldn't find the answer. And I have been pondering on it for the past few months, I've even asked friends and family and nobody can tell me the answer. The question is.

Why do dogs have jagged lips? Not all of dogs might have this but I know my dog and five other dogs I looked at all had jagged lips. Almost reminds me of an alligator. If you have a dog look at his lips, he should have these jagged edges and I can't seem to figure out why they have these.

What in the hell is up with the platypus?

You take that back bro!

They may have something to do with providing a buffer between the upper and lower teeth. Part of the lip on my dog goes up between her canines when she shuts her jaw. It looks as though it stops them from rubbing and damaging each other. Maybe to protect the gum from all the stuff dogs put in their mouth? I'm not sure. I want to know now, too.

Skin Tags (Fibropapillomas)

Question:

I have an 8 year old bichon frise named Casper. I have written to you about him before. I am writing this time because he has a growth on his bottom lip. The best way I can describe it is by comparing it to a tick. That is what I thought it was when I first saw it. If you picture a tick flattened out, that is how this "growth" appears. The growth has a few pieces of skin growing from it, like little stems. It is hanging from his bottom lip and is connected only by a small piece of skin. It is dark in color. About as dark as his lip itself. I am very concerned that it may be cancerous. I realize the only way to know for sure is to get it biopsied, but I wanted to know if you provide me with some information before I take Casper to our vet.

Answer:

It sounds like you are describing a skin tag, also sometimes called fibropapillomas, skin polyps, fibrin tags or achrochordons. These are benign growths that are not cancerous. They can be confused with some forms of cancer, most notably keratoacanthomas (benign) and melanomas (often malignant). Most of the time, if these have a pendulous base, they are going to be a benign lesion. Despite this, when they occur on the lips or around the mouth it may be best to have them examined by a pathologist after removal, just to rule out the melanomas, since when melanomas occur in these areas they are more likely to be malignant. This might be an example of being overcautious, depending on the exact appearance of the sores, though. Your vet can help you determine the importance of having a pathologist look at the lesion after removal.

For a more in-depth look at this topic, visit our page on Skin Tags on Dogs

Read more: Lumps, Bumps, cysts, tags and odd skin growths in Dogs - VetInfo

• 2 weeks later...

Archived