Peter Molyneux Admits He Was Disappointed with Fable III

Gamercide

The end result of Fable III left fans feeilng their beloved game had a taken a turn to the dark side literally.  Gone were the lush, bright graphics that Fable fans have grown accumstomed to and instead gamers had to stare at often dingy and gloomy landscapes.  Peter Molyneuex, Producer at Lionhead Studios finally admitted that fans weren’t the only ones that were disappointed the outcome of Fable III, so was he.

“It didn’t end up being the game that I dreamed it would be…” ~ Peter Molyneux, Producer with Lionhead Studios in an interview with Gamasutra “The game came together so late that we had so little time to balance and refine.  There was just a few weeks to do it. That meant that what could have been a great mechanic turned out to be a good idea.”

Molyneux further explains his disappoint with the game when his Fable III goals of selling 5 million units were not met.

“…So when we came down to it, the edit — I think the ruling section in Fable was the one that really suffered a lot here. The edit was very harsh and hard to actually make the game fit.  That being said, I still think it was a good game! I just don’t think it was a great game that took us to 5 million units. I know I probably should say it’s a great game just respective of whatever it was, but the Metacritic score was sort of low-’80s. I think I’m pretty ashamed of that, to be honest, and I take that on my own shoulders, not the team’s shoulders. I think that, when you have something like that, which you can feel as a kick in the teeth, you have to pick yourself up and fight even harder.” ~ Peter Molyneux

With that being said let’s hope that the next Fable game that rolls out gets back to it’s roots and leaves us wanting more instead of saying, “Another Fable already?  Please, the last one kind of blew…”.

via Gamasutra

View the full article

Low 80s on Metacritic isn't bad at all though. 70 is a generally decent game, with 60 being mediocre. The 1-10 scale is really a 5-10 scale lol.

The game was decent but very obviously rushed. I'd rather wait another year, or even not play a game at all, than have it released ASAP but bugged and lacking in the features that were planned.

I really liked fable 1 but fable 2 was a let down it was so linear and basic and when you consider the other great rpgs out there the game was very adverage, I havent played fable 3 but it didn't seem to move forward from fable 2 at all I may pick it up in a sale sometime. Most gamer know not to get our hopes up and believe Peters grand promises but its nice to see that he actually realises that the games arent that great an 80% metacritic rating is probaly quite generous.

Archived