The Witcher 2 – First Impressions

Gamercide

witcher2-2011-06-05-09-56-19-56.bmp

The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings

Developed by: CD Projekt RED

Published by: CD Projekt RED

Platforms: PC (Coming Soon to XBOX 360 )

Players: 1

I’m currently in the process of playing The Witcher 2 with full intentions of writing a full review when I finish. However, the game is long, and I feel the need to write a few of my impressions now, instead of waiting to do it all at once.

Let me start by saying the game is absolutely beautiful. I am nearing the end of Act I, and I still find myself just gazing at the landscape, characters, and creatures in awe. Everything is superbly crafted, and I cannot wait to see more. Word’s can’t do the game as much justice visually as a good ole screenshot. Here’s one of the Kayran.

witcher2-2011-06-05-11-42-18-99.bmp

Visuals aside, the game is incredibly fun to play, though a bit steep on the learning curve. I found myself dying regularly during the early stages of the game. Though, there is a patch out now that is suppose to address balance issues in the Prologue. Once you start to get the hang of battles the fighting becomes more enjoyable. You have to know when to run, and be prepared with the right potions and equipment. Still, save often, and be prepared to die from time to time. You can save just about anywhere when not in battle, so dying isn’t as frustrating as it could be if we were relying solely on checkpoints. The other advice I can give is to read the manual. It comes in PDF form with the digital copies and is much more extensive than most games release with nowadays. So, do yourself a favor and at least look it over. The in game tutorials are there, but they aren’t as in depth as the manual is.

From a story standpoint I’m loving it. Things continue at a steady enough pace to keep me interested, and though I never saw the end of The Witcher I’m not lost with the story thus far. So, if you’ve never played the first one you could easily pick this one up and have fun with it. Though I highly suggest playing The Witcher, especially for the low price it’s offered at today. The side quests have had enough depth to make them worth looking into, but some are the regular ‘kill this or that and get paid’ type.

Though I have a lot more to go, I’m fully expecting enjoyment out of the rest of the game. It’s a beautiful, challenging, and well crafted game that has me glued to my computer chair. If you are thinking of buying it, but are still on the fence, drop by our live page sometime and check out the gameplay live. I should be playing it all live as I continue my journey. You can watch it at http://gmcd.me/gcl . If you don’t catch the live stream then check out some of the videos at http://en.thewitcher.com/the-witcher/2/videos/gameplay/ .

That’s all for now, but be sure to check out the full review once I’ve completed the game!

View the full article

There's one gauge I know that's accurate, to judge if Dateranoth is enjoying the game he's playing. He comes out of his gaming funk, plays the same game days in a row, and he ends up casting it for far longer than he first planned on.

I definitely agree on the game's visuals. He's absolutely correct. The game is beautiful. Even the dark, dreary parts of the game. Also agree that even if you don't need to play the first game to enjoy this one, you should pick it up and play it. It's story was really good, and you can carry over certain parts of it into the second game.

To Geralt, the White Wolf. Kick that ass, Witcher.

It is a great game, pretty much improves upon everything the first did wrong. And the choices are actually interesting, not black and white style. Its good to see small-ish developers getting it done. Also, free dlc.

I can run the game on ultra, the thing is that the "ultra" setting also turns on ubersampling by default. That is what crumbles everything =)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the game. Took me a while, both because the game was long, and I'm short on time. However, it was a great game with plenty of replay value for those who have to pick different routes. Hopefully I can get my full review up soon. My opinion overall hasn't changed though. If you haven't played it get it, and if you're waiting for the console version preorder it!

Archived