Osama Bin Laden is Dead

I can see the reason as why they did the burial at sea to have no grave or site that people would worship, but as to not escalating tension? The extremeist already want America dead and most Americans dead and we are worried about making them mad?

I can't imagine we as a nation stood to inflame or incite a group of militants more so, than by having killed him in the first place. We're talking about a militia with a predisposition of hatred against western civilization and culture. Not having released photos or a proper burial for Osama, shows our civility as a nation and military force even in war time. But, will almost certainly change nothing in the eyes of Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Their motivation for the destruction of America isn't hindered by our grace, Osama Bin Laden's death is all they need for a propaganda campaign.

I say release the photos for the sake of speculation alone, but I wouldn't expect that of all things to be the reason for more terrorist activity. We as a people must remain resolute, but not allow ourselves to lose sight of our own rules of engagement. We're not our enemy...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the discussion I've been having with my friends who think they shouldn't show the photos.

Look, by killing him, we've already shaken the hornets nest. Also, we killed a Pakistani, in Pakistan, without Pakistani authority. Yet, we show the pictures of his death, and several others that were there. Besides all that, his followers believe he has been dead for years, and is buried at the top of Tora Bora.

The only conclusion that would leave for them, in my eyes, is that we found his burial site, dug him up and then said we killed him.

Now ask yourselves... what would piss you off more?

I think its the right decision not to show his pictures.

They would probably be fairly graphic and releasing them serves no real purpose.

If you don't believe the DNA evidence, you won't believe the photographic evidence as it can all be fabricated if one really wanted to.

In the end, I think the right thing to do is not to release the photos as it seems the only reason to IMO is to satisfy people that want to see them to get satisfaction out of seeing him dead which is not the right reason to release them IMO.

Also if released, they'd probably be used by Al Quaeda *spelling?? to recruit, saying look at this dead man they shot in the head while he was unarmed.

I think a major reason for releasing the photos is to convince the Pakistani people. For instance, I saw CNN interviewing people in Pakistan (I forget if it was in Abottabad or Islamabad) and an overwhelming majority thought that the reports on Osama bin Laden being killed were fabricated. Visual evidence would easily sway these individuals who doubt the reports. Furthermore, a picture is something everyone can digest. DNA evidence, although important and acceptable in our culture, probably won't hold the same weight. They will just claim that we made it up and there's no way to show them that the DNA matches. So, I think showing the picture would help to prove that he is indeed dead.

Also, I assumed from the beginning that he was unarmed. I don't understand what the problem is. From how I understood it, they approached him and asked him to surrender and he verbally communicated that he would not surrender. At this point, regardless of whether or not he physically fought back, I think they were fine killing him.

they were fine killing him because he deserved to die. hell, he wanted to. we obliged.

also, as an american, i want to see it. i want a tshirt of it. i want an autographed ******* poster. just sayin....

This is based on no evidence whatsoever and is just my theory (granted it's quite conspiracy-like) and I don't even really believe it but I think it's an interesting point... but anyways, one conclusion I think you can make is that Bin Laden is still alive but in American custody. It just doesn't make sense if the SEALS had orders to capture or kill, that they would kill him unarmed when SEALS are easily trained to suppress and detain an enemy. It'd seem more beneficial to keep him alive so to extract more info from him about other top leaders of Al Queida and other plots. So, you could probably make the argument they just announced he was killed to avoid even more speculation and debate. 'Cause imagine the controversy there, if they announced he was captured; many more arguments would be initiated. First off, the interrogation debate would re-open and everyone would all be debating about extracting tactics used on him. Secondly, it'd be unclear as to who could actually hold him as the Pakistan government would probably say it was under their jurisdiction. Then there would be debate on how he would be tried, where, etc. Also, killing him boosts up America's moral, simply because America is united under the death of the world's most dangerous terrorist having no major divide on how to deal with him. This string of logic with the unreleased photos, convenient lack of video footage showing the actual killing, and the disposal of body in the ocean might support this theory... might is the key word there considering it's all speculation...

...That being said, I'll take off my tinfoil hat, and say that I believe he is dead and that I don't really have an inclination to see the photos.

@brim Why would they? That compound was reportedly across the street from a Pakistani military academy. It's also supposedly a suburb where many of their military generals retire.

Whether they were complicit, or just turning their heads the other way... who knows. Just another piece of information we'll never know about.

Doesn't matter, though. We had his sister's subpoenaed brain matter to match against his DNA. We should all be content with that bit of information. Carry on, take the high ground and live life worry free. :yahoo:

HEY PK!!! Ahahah yeah it's been a while! I still like to periodically check in and ghost around ahaahaha. Just the usual life going on so I haven't really gotten the chance to stop in by most recently. How've you been doin?

I don't want to get too heavily involved in debate on this issue TBH.

I'll post a link to an Irish forum and a thread debating it:

http://www.boards.ie...hp?t=2056255667

Might give an insight into a European perspective on the isuse (slash Irish perspective).

I think the Pakistani government has been knowingly harboring Bin Ladin hence America keeping them in the dark about the attack. I think if their government claims its murder, America needs to take a serious look at its relation with Pakistan (needs to anyway TBH if they couldn't even tell them about the attack).

Two posts into the thread on page one, and I already don't want to read it. Chest thumping, Fox news etc etc.

Funny how we keep being told to take the high ground, but just look at how people envision us. Not our government. Us. You'd think we were all drunken rednecks, shooting our guns into the air.

No thanks.

While Im not going to disagree that he "deserved" to die, we need to be careful that we don't become our enemy.

Also, I think that some of those outside the US saw those celebrating on TV as a bit disturbing, some people then apply the mindset of those crowds to the whole of America.

Nothing against you, Title, but when buildings come down and you have the supposed person behind it all... it's hard not to celebrate a little.

I don't know if it's hard to realize from the outside looking in, but that act damaged us all a little on the inside. With this happening, it was basically the first chance to feel slightly good about something involving that day. It's also why some Americans get upset when someone who isn't American, judges them on all this (and yeah, I know they're responsible for things all over the world). Not you, Title. Just saying it so maybe some who might not understand how some of us feel about it, now might be able to.

I don't judge anyone for celebrating a little, and I can never expect to know how it hit you all either. I didn't mean to be rude :(

It is a step forward, and celebrating is to be expected. But from outside, it is easy to get the impression that some are not celebrating for the right reasons. To have some sort of closure or hope for the future is great, but to dip into immense enjoyment over the demise of a human is isn't.

Again, please don't be offended by me, and Im not saying that anyone here is like that. You all deserve to be happy about the development. Just be careful as you go about it. :)

They showed everyone in that house dead, except him. So, uh, yeah.

To be fair, those pics were released by Pakistanis after the US had left, the US didn't take those pics. Those are just the other dudes we left behind. And of course, Pakistan dudes took pics and sold them to Reuters ASAP for quick cash. That's how it goes over there.

Yeah, I'm aware. Did it upset the extremists, though? The pics of those killed by the US in Pakistan are out there and it hasn't changed anything. Didn't really seem to bother them that his 12 year old daughter was there, either.

The US government perpetuates the conspiracy theories. That's the real reason why we'll never see them. It's not about high ground, or upsetting people. It's just a tool they've been using for a very long time.

The awesome bomb sniffing/enemy detecting dog that was with the SEALS when they took down Bin Laden may have had titanium fangs which most SEAL dogs do. Could you imagine being bitten one of those fangs!

Huff Post

Archived