MS extends hand to Valve: Fable 3 heads to Steam

PeeKnuckle

The rivalry between Microsoft's Games For Windows Marketplace platform and Valve's Steam service took an interesting turn today - with MS announcing it is to release Fable 3 over both distribution channels.

The Lionhead title will be available for pre-order on both platforms from April 21.

Perhaps predictably, there is an incentive to buy from GFWM. Those who buy from Microsoft's service will receive 'Fable: Lost Chapters' - the start of the Fable saga - for free. Meanwhile, those who purchase on Steam will receive the Rebel's Weapon & Tattoo Pack - a collection of four exclusive weapons and five exclusive tattoo sets.

A Microsoft statement released earlier adds that: "No matter how players decide to purchase Fable III, they will have access to the same exciting content as Xbox 360 players, including riveting Game Add-ons like Traitor's Keep, in addition to new features like a more challenging Hardcore mode and 3-D functionality."

Source - [CVG]

In my opinion, it's an olive branch. I dare say we'll be seeing MS and Valve doing more business in the near future.

I just saw it on the Steam store this morning for pre-order, very cool. I wish I'd known sooner that it would come to PC, because I'd have bought it for that instead of 360 since RPGs in general are easier to control with a mouse and keyboard. But initially there were no plans whatsoever for a PC release.

Anyone think this has anything to do with the PS3/Valve partnership with Portal 2?

I'd be more inclined to use the Games for Windows marketplace, if it were more like the marketplace on Xbox. It a little disjointed, some of the contents hyperlinks don't even work and it doesn't have much content in general (Demos, DLC, Arcade games ext) just not a whole lot there. As an extension of a pre existing Xbox Live account though, it's alright I guess.

I'd be more inclined to use the Games for Windows marketplace, if it were more like the marketplace on Xbox. It a little disjointed, some of the contents hyperlinks don't even work and it doesn't have much content in general (Demos, DLC, Arcade games ext) just not a whole lot there. As an extension of a pre existing Xbox Live account though, it's alright I guess.

What it needs is a program that allows GFWL to run outside of games. There isn't really a way to properly chat over Xbox LIVE or browse the marketplace from the desktop, only from the guide menu in games.

There is voice chat, you just can't join party chat. I see no reason why they can't add more features to GFWL to allow more interconnectivity with Xbox LIVE.

As of right now it's just some annoying BS features I don't want in the occasional Steam game I play. Lol stupid cheevos, I'm trying to get over them.

Probably won't buy it on anything tbh.

Second one was enough for me and I don't have the funds.

I like the idea of Fable series but the implementation didn't seem to live up to the hype last time.

I still had fun with it though it was kind of a chore at times.

Kinda wish the jobs and stuff were more like mini-games and less one button timing affairs.

Archived