Portal 2 gets digitally bitchslapped over Day 1 DLC

Gamercide

Business is business and the point is to make money.

Yeah, but at what point do companies stand to lose customers at the expense of making a higher profit? Companies like Valve and EA are starting to walk a very fine line between fan service and just being another faceless profit driven business. Its ultimately up to the customers to make it an issue, before these companies forget who made them and how they got there in the first place.

That I can totally agree with. EA tries to drive in the spigot and suck you dry. However, you have to make that decision to purchase. With every new sports title, they'll have at least 4 pages of DLC to buff your teams with. You can earn those same buffs, or you can buy them.

On the one hand, it's lazy and some just want the best on day one. On the other, though, there's people who can't devote many hours into unlocking that content for their favorite sports franchises, and want to unlock things to be able to compete online. Those are the people I wouldn't hate on. They're usually working full time jobs, have families etc. So in that respect, I can see it's a needed service for some.

I'd never buy any of it, though.

How much profit is too much? lol. I've never heard of a company saying " That is too much profit. Price it down." We will either buy the DLC or not. Everything else is just pissing in the wind. This will take care of itself. In retail it always does.

How much profit is too much? lol. I've never heard of a company saying " That is too much profit. Price it down." We will either buy the DLC or not. Everything else is just pissing in the wind. This will take care of itself. In retail it always does.

True, but the companies will continue "testing the waters" with what they can get away with. A great example of this is the stupid $15 DLC for Call of Duty MAP PACKS. Unfortunately, idiots buy them like crazy. Now it's the trend. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $20 next.

By the way, I'm that one guy who stopped playing RDR and refuses to buy the DLC pack with the tomahawk in it. My character has almost always been an indian, and he should spawn in with it automatically. The fact they used it as an incentive to buy the pack, made me upset. I don't need 10 multiplayer maps and I don't need 8 new skins. Just want the tomahawk my character should already have! lol

And I don't feel disrespected or that we're even arguing, it's a healthy debate and fitting for us forum goers. Disagreement and perspective are what makes for great conversation.

This ^^^^^^

I was in a Sony chat room 2 days ago and people were debating back and forth about the identity fiasco. Some MILD ribbing and flaming was going on. Nothing that I saw out of line and the mods were all over it. The natural flow of a thread is essential to the forums, IMO, and I think we can agree that almost everyone here is respectful.

By the way, I'm that one guy who stopped playing RDR and refuses to buy the DLC pack with the tomahawk in it. My character has almost always been an indian, and he should spawn in with it automatically. The fact they used it as an incentive to buy the pack, made me upset. I don't need 10 multiplayer maps and I don't need 8 new skins. Just want the tomahawk my character should already have! lol

Then you have voted with your wallet. That's ONLY way it will work that I've seen. I get your point tho'. It's funny I was thinking of picking that game up used because I miss it! lol.

True, but the companies will continue "testing the waters" with what they can get away with. A great example of this is the stupid $15 DLC for Call of Duty MAP PACKS. Unfortunately, idiots buy them like crazy. Now it's the trend. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $20 next.

It will organically level. That's the way of retail. It will never change.

This ^^^^^^

I was in a Sony chat room 2 days ago and people were debating back and forth about the identity fiasco. Some MILD ribbing and flaming was going on. Nothing that I saw out of line and the mods were all over it. The natural flow of a thread is essential to the forums, IMO, and I think we can agree that almost everyone here is respectful.

That's why I love this place, disagreements are just that, disagreements. We don't have to go for the jugular to get our points across.

Well don't get angry about it.

Trust me, if I were mad or angry none of this discussion would be happening at all. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, I'm just saying the logic behind it seems quite flawed from the outward view. I know we all have very strong personalities around here and no one is going to back down from their stance. Expecting that is an exercise in futility :) and rarely, if ever happens.

My point is, people that complain about video games put them on a pedestal from any other product on the market that has these same types of things. We have just gotten used to the usual "up-sell" because they have been around for so long. Video game DLC has just gotten highly popular and is really in the infant stages of being fleshed out. Right, wrong, or indifferent the easiest way to look at it is like I said in my first reply: "Don't like it, don't buy it"

Then you have voted with your wallet. That's ONLY way it will work that I've seen. I get your point tho'. It's funny I was thinking of picking that game up used because I miss it! lol.

Assassin is trying to goad me back into the game. I've been resistant for so long, it's almost natural. He wants to level grind, though, so I might just hop on to help him.

You should pick it up. It's a good game. I liked it a lot. Just not the tomahawk deal.

Trust me, if I were mad or angry none of this discussion would be happening at all. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, I'm just saying the logic behind it seems quite flawed from the outward view. I know we all have very strong personalities around here and no one is going to back down from their stance. Expecting that is an exercise in futility :) and rarely, if ever happens.

My point is, people that complain about video games put them on a pedestal from any other product on the market that has these same types of things. We have just gotten used to the usual "up-sell" because they have been around for so long. Video game DLC has just gotten highly popular and is really in the infant stages of being fleshed out. Right, wrong, or indifferent the easiest way to look at it is like I said in my first reply: "Don't like it, don't buy it"

I know. I was just throwing that out there though. It's definitely apparent we all have some VERY strong opinions and many of us can be very stubborn about our feelings. LoL

The only thing I take issue with is the idea about saying "we have just gotten used to the usual 'up-sell'". I'm not used to it, and I don't think I ever will be. I want to be treated well as a consumer, not feel nickel and dimed. I'm not saying it happens all the time, it just seems that is the way things are trending and I dislike it. :)

<embed src="http://cdn2.themis-media.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.5.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.themis-media.com/videos/config/2794-fc89337433e068c6faae095bc5f6fb53.js%3Fplayer_version%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed>

Definitely an awesome vid I agree. It's a shame that EA de-evolved so much from their original vision.

On a side note. Apparently the first DLC pack for Portal 2 will be free for all users. This makes me happy, since it actually adds content and not silly hats. :)

Archived