8.8 Quake Hits Japan - Tsunami Warnings All Over

PeeKnuckle

Best of luck to everyone who may be affected. Stay up to date with your local news, and follow their instructions. If they say get out, do not pack, do not hesitate. Just go.

So far, the Tsunami may hit Hawaii, Mexico, Australia, the entire West Coast of the US and Canada and many other spots.

Be safe everyone. If you are affected and can reach the forums (or any other way IM etc), give us a shout out so we know you're okay. If you need anything, please let us know.

I'm currently on the phone with my family in the Bay Area. Pretty scary shit and feeling pretty helpless, which I hate.

Update. While many bad things are still going on, the tsunami doesn't seem to be as bad as initially thought. Still stay tuned to your local stations, if you're in an area that can be affected.

Waves have hit Hawaii and they're not big at all. Looks like the Western coast of the US may be all right. Continue to monitor your local news, if you have any concerns. *EDIT* Future waves will more than likely be bigger than the initial ones.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure of other areas of the world yet, but it seems like the Bay Area side of the West coast should be all right. I only know of that area, since I've been watching news for that area.

If you're worried about any of this, seek out your local news stations or websites.

I wonder how truthful they will be considering all the mess going on now. That's what I'm worried about. Cooling is a big component to these plants and if they have no power to cool God knows what could happen.

<object width="720" height="566" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">

<param name="flashvars" value="cid=7473766&autoplay=false&style=ub006699:lc54ABD6:ocffffff:ucffffff"/>

<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/>

<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/>

<param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf"/>'>http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf"/>

<embed flashvars="cid=7473766&autoplay=false&style=ub006699:lc54ABD6:ocffffff:ucffffff" width="720" height="566" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

</object>

<br /><a href=" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Streaming Video by Ustream.TV</a>

<br>

<br>

Live feed from Hawaii

Watching the live stream from Hawaii, and I think I can breathe a small sigh of relief. If it's that small there, then I don't think it can get much worse in the Bay Area, or even the rest of the Western coast of the US.

*edit* And the tsunami expert on hand in Hawaii, disputed all that I just said. He said the initial waves are never the biggest, and that he has some concerns on what is still coming. What that means to the west coast, I have no idea.

This is what Roberta Gonzales from CBS 5 (San Francisco) said on Twitter - "The Tsunami Warning Center and NWS says info still valid. Tsunami wave at 8:08am at the mouth of San Francisco Bay expected to be 1.5 feet."

She also said "Tsunami waves slam Hawaii, sweeping through islands after massive earthquake in Japan.". I'm watching the live stream now, and the Hawaiin reporters even disputed all the reports coming from network news not located there.

My heart goes out to everybody that is involved in this. I hope all of you that live on the west coast and if you have any family over in that area in Japan that lives or is stationed there is okay. Just heart breaking news :(

I guess this earthquake has been upgraded from 7th strongest in recorded history, all the way to the strongest ever recorded.

Looks like the worst the Bay Area (CA) got, was in Santa Cruz. Mostly harbors with broken docks and ships that got loose and are banging against each other.

Not sure. Just going on what KCRA NBC out of Sacramento is saying. They said it had been upgraded to a 9. something. Their site however, isn't saying that. So I don't know if they haven't updated it or what.

The magnitude has changed several times. It was initially a 7. something early on.

Archived