My VC Games Are Unusable.

Nomadik Kitty

Okay... I haven't played my Wii for...I don't even remember how long. I turned it on tonight and tried to play some of my virtual console games and they won't work. The screen goes out...well, the screen actually goes to the normal TV picture for when there's no input, but there's still sound. If I hit the home button, the screen turns back on, but if I try to go to the game again, the picture goes out again.

I'm only using the standard a/v cords and a Sony LCD TV. I know for a fact that they used to work, but it was probably on a different TV (probably my Mitsubishi DLP that crapped out on me). Anyone have this problem or know what's going on with it.

I hardly ever play my Wii, but it'd be nice to be able to play the games that I paid for when I want. Was kinda wanting to play some Toe Jam & Earl tonight. :(

Here's a solution I found. Makes sense if you're on a standard def. TV and its trying to display Progressive scan instead of interlaced.

1. Connect the Nunchuck to the Wiimote and press Home to see the menu options.

2. Press A + 2 + Z together which should result in a short ?ping-like? sound.

3. You have now activated the interlaced mode.

4. Leave the menu and you should see the normal game screen.

5. To switch back to regular mode use the same method above and press A + 1 + Z

Hope it works.

Well, it's not a standard def TV. I tried it just to check and was a bit confused. Push the home button from what screen? I tried it from the game itself, from the main screen of the Wii (where all the channels are), and from the Wii Settings menu. I never heard a "ping". I also went into the Screen Resolution in the settings menu and it's set to 480i. 480p is grayed out because I only have the a/v cable in.

Well, it's not a standard def TV. I tried it just to check and was a bit confused. Push the home button from what screen? I tried it from the game itself, from the main screen of the Wii (where all the channels are), and from the Wii Settings menu. I never heard a "ping". I also went into the Screen Resolution in the settings menu and it's set to 480i. 480p is grayed out because I only have the a/v cable in.

That's very likely the problem then. I know I had an HDTV that didn't support 480i. As a matter of fact, my current samsung LCD tv doesn't work with 480i. You may need to get the component cable so you can display 480p. Do you know the exact model of your tv?

Found some more info:

"FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).

1. Hook up component cables

2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p

3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)

4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).

5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play."

From this thread on the same problem:

Video Turns off when playing VC games

That's very likely the problem then. I know I had an HDTV that didn't support 480i. As a matter of fact, my current samsung LCD tv doesn't work with 480i. You may need to get the component cable so you can display 480p. Do you know the exact model of your tv?

Umm...it's a Sony Bravia something or other 120hz 53" LCD.

My only confusion then though, is that I'm able to see everything else with the Wii except for VC games. Disc based games, the weather thingy, the news, etc., etc. It's just VC games. Very confusing.

Umm...it's a Sony Bravia something or other 120hz 53" LCD.

My only confusion then though, is that I'm able to see everything else with the Wii except for VC games. Disc based games, the weather thingy, the news, etc., etc. It's just VC games. Very confusing.

Yeah. I added some to the previous post. From what I've found it seems to be a problem with the Wii itself when displaying on newer tvs. From what I've read you can try the things above or I've also read that changing the aspect ratio might help.

Yeah. I added some to the previous post. From what I've found it seems to be a problem with the Wii itself when displaying on newer tvs. From what I've read you can try the things above or I've also read that changing the aspect ratio might help.

I actually saw that forum post already.

I was hoping something might've been updated since 2006, but I guess not. I wouldn't even mind buying the cord, but I loathe the thought of getting my fiance to come over just to move the entertainment center for me, so I can detangle that mess of wires back there and replace them. *sigh* Guess I have no choice (I tried the aspect ratio thing already).

Oh well. Thanks a lot anyway. I appreciate the effort. <3

Well, the further I read the more it looks like the very first option should have worked. Says this:

Need to be in 480i or 576i, start the game, open the operations manual from the home menu, connect a nunchuk to the Wiimote and press A, 2 and Z at the same time.

Sorry to hear you've tried all that. You did say you are using standard a/v right? Yellow, red, white?

Well, the further I read the more it looks like the very first option should have worked. Says this:

Need to be in 480i or 576i, start the game, open the operations manual from the home menu, connect a nunchuk to the Wiimote and press A, 2 and Z at the same time.

Sorry to hear you've tried all that. You did say you are using standard a/v right? Yellow, red, white?

Yeah, the standard a/v. I just tried Super Mario 64 and that one works. It's just my Genesis, SNES, and NES games that are fail. Unfortunately that's all of the VC games except for Super Mario 64. :(

Yeah, the standard a/v. I just tried Super Mario 64 and that one works. It's just my Genesis, SNES, and NES games that are fail. Unfortunately that's all of the VC games except for Super Mario 64. :(

Sorry its not working. Everything I read pointed to the games be interlaced that caused the problem. However, that shouldn't be an issue if you're using standard cables. I guess the TV could still not support interlaced mode. Hopefully the component cable will work.

• 6 months later...

Archived