U.S. Debt Reducing: The game

PeeKnuckle

President Obama's administration has asked Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer to create a game about reducing the U.S. deficit.

Erskine Bowles, co-chair of Obama's fiscal commission, wants the game to be made so the general public can have a go to balancing the budget, reports USA Today.

Read more at [source] Edge-Online

If successful, could this paint gaming in a better light? Or is it a crack, as if to say, "if you can do better, than take a shot at it"?

I'm going to hold my opinion to myself for awhile. I'd like to hear your reactions, though. Let's keep it respectful and as non political as we can. We're not attacking a party or anything. We're discussing a potential game.

I'll say this one thing for now. I wasn't lying when I said gaming brings in billions each year and that everyone wants their mitts in that revenue stream.

To say I'm surprised there hasn't been much fed involvement with gaming, is an understatement. I think we will though, eventually. It's super profitable and tends to have a low overhead. Perfect for exploiting.

I think the idea could work, depends on who produces it. It could bring humor, or serious business.. We need to learn more about this whole situation on how to save money.. I don't think this is possible, but i would love to see the developers and sellers drop prices to $40 or $50 for a while... just to experiment on if the sells would increase. But my only 2 concerns in the whole gaming industry is:

1. Activision. They make great fps games, but now they seem to be getting greedy, In most of the magazine and web articles I've heard about them after MW2, They are thinking about adding a Fee to play Modern Warefare online..... it seems stupid and will lose them more money in the long run... I think they should just keep it simple to rake in the cash... and stopp getting so money hungry in the long run.

2. This whole consloe war, I think its dumb how you have people seriously taking sides and bad mouthing one another just because of their preference. I've had a PS3, and to be fair... there wern't many games that the PC and Xbox have to offer.... the PS3 only had like 7 games that i noticed. I see that its competition but Geez, its annoying.

Ok do any of you watch Stargate Universe???? Those who do... remember the first episode the had a MMORPG that when it was beat they unlocked some secret code that the Govt hadn't??? Well anyway this sounds like that... haha.. they'll monitor everyones experience and when someone figures out the quick fix they'll be promoted to the position of President of the WORLD!! :P

Sorry but it sounds a bit nuts to me... we already have Monopoly!!!

Ok do any of you watch Stargate Universe???? Those who do... remember the first episode the had a MMORPG that when it was beat they unlocked some secret code that the Govt hadn't??? Well anyway this sounds like that... haha.. they'll monitor everyones experience and when someone figures out the quick fix they'll be promoted to the position of President of the WORLD!! :P

Sorry but it sounds a bit nuts to me... we already have Monopoly!!!

That's pretty close to what I was thinking of. Only more of an Ender's game scenario. Make the game hyper realistic, wait for the highest score, then use that person's strategy to fix the deficit.

Actually think this is a really good idea. I'd imagine the game will be free and downloadable if it's state-funded. If it even gives a little bit of help to your government in fixing the deficit then why not!

Unless you can teabag in it then it won't sell tongue.gif I'm curious just to see how they plan on turning this into a game. Accounting and numbers in a game will either not sell or be dumbed down to the level of a 'Tycoon' game.

What's wrong with Accounting and Numbers??? God knows I love them EVERY day... :/

Archived