"Do Console Exclusives Still Matter?"

PeeKnuckle

Read an article over at CVG this morning. If you got a couple minutes, read it and maybe some of the comments. I was pretty surprised not only at the article, but also the comments. Not sure if they moderated out any comments, but it looks like a well behaved discussion about console exclusives. Nary a fanboy in sight.

Take a gander and discuss what you feel, here.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=276561

Pretty interesting read. The comments as well. Surprisingly tame. I'm somewhere between the two arguments myself.

I don't believe the exclusives are what we gain from having multiple consoles. They each bring something unique to the table, but each exclusive title seems to have some iteration/copy on the other console. The only thing the competition brings is better consoles. The competition between the two make them strive for better peripherals etc. I have to wonder if we would have a Kinect right now if Wii hadn't ushered that era in.

I agree. The competition breeds better consoles. I firmly believe that. I also believe that's where it ends. All the rest of it, is purely to their advantage and feeds on the console war they want people to help wage for them. One of the comments from the article brought up the time frame in which exclusive games would/could sway a console purchase. That time has surely passed a few years ago, since most who wanted consoles, have them already.

No one is going to go out and buy a new console, because their favorite games DLC is exclusive to one console only. It's ridiculous. I think it's acceptable when new consoles are in the market, but when you keep it up long into the consoles life cycle, that's something else altogether. It's propagating fanboyism. Hell, even some of the mottos/taglines in some console commercials are pandering to it.

I understand how businesses work. They want as much profit as possible. I also know other businesses use similar practices. I just take this personally, since I love gaming and I don't like the direction it's heading in. I also take it personally, since they're basically saying we're too stupid to see what they're doing. Gaming has always been a community driven hobby. They're dividing the community and some gamers are helping them do it.

Are you a gamer? Or are you a PC gamer/360 gamer/PS3 gamer/Wii gamer?

Archived