Sharing Files?

eminutia

I have a problem. Something came up on my screen a couple of days ago, saying there was a device found on my network called PC-LENNY, and asked if I wanted to share files with this device. I accidentally pressed yes, but didn't think anything of it. Turns out my upload speed has increased and it's kicking me off of Live every so often. How can I change stop this from happening? I think this "Lenny" guy is downloading files from my computer. Please help!

Try going to Control Panel - Network Connections and right click on your main connection (For me it's "1394 Connection", not "Wireless Network Connection") and click properties. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck both "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" and "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection".

I think that should block him out.

You may also want to check what wireless connections you are connected to (if you're wireless) by right clicking the icon on the bottom right and clicking "View Available Wireless Networks".

I think what's most likely happening is it's someone within range of your computer's wireless signal, connecting to it and using your internet connection. Doesn't necessarily mean they're downloading files from your computer directly.

Try this and see if it helps you.

Click Start, and then click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, click to clear the Use simple file sharing check box.

Click OK.

Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

folderoptionsadvancedoptionswindow.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. Nothing is where it should be. Do you see the that option, that you specified, in that window? Neither do I. So frustrated right now. That notification I was talking about just popped up one day, and now I can't access it.

*edit* Kevin, I do have teamviewer. Would you like use it and see if you can get it to work?

*edit #2* Kev, I'm wired by the way. lol

OK, I figured it out. Let this be a lesson to all those that have had this problem before, or a similar one involving sharing.

Open Media Player. Go to the "Libraries" tab. Click on "Media Sharing...". It will come up with all shared devices.

BTW, thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty happy about figuring it out on my own though!

Archived